what do you think of this one? I photographed it about a year ago

DinoThePhotoGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
CROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.png

I can't think of anything. What did you think?

Several things come immediately to mind: The perspective is skewed because your camera wasn't level, the horizon is badly tilted, the contrast is way too high resulting in blown highlights & blocked shadows and very little detail in most of the image, and... there's no real discernible subject to hold my eye.

Obviously, there's something there that you find interesting. However to the casual viewer, there's not much to see. If your intention was to highlight the snow on the jetboat, then all the other stuff around it tends to distract. If that wasn't your objective, then I'm kinda lost in looking for a subject, echoing what John (Tirediron) already said. Think of us viewers as children to whom the obvious needs to be clearly pointed out, otherwise we most likely will miss the point, or be distracted by too much information.

Edit: Note the quotation I have in my signature, courtesy of Lew Lorton, a pretty good photographer who posts on this forum under the alias "The_Traveller". The "important things" are your subject or subjects. The "important places" is the location of the subject in the frame that directs the viewer's attention in a guided way. Note in the second line the suggestion to compose the image to minimize things that distract from the important things. That means finding a vantage point or angle that reduces or eliminates everything that doesn't support the subject.

Last edited:
Suffers from a severe case of Undeterminable Subject Identity.

What, exactly, is the subject? The shed? The snowmobile? The back end of the boat, or it's outboard motor? The trees? The plant hanger? The snow?

As noted, you think there's something there worthy of a shutter click. Isolate that and either eliminate or minimize everything else.

What, exactly, is the subject? The shed? The snowmobile? The back end of the boat, or it's outboard motor? The trees? The plant hanger? The snow?

As noted, you think there's something there worthy of a shutter click. Isolate that and either eliminate or minimize everything else.
actually the tree. And I have a cropped version of it which I used as an avatar. Take a look at it

CROPPEDTREES.png

. Perhaps my cropped version then is better. But I wanted to hear thoughts on the whole thing anyway.

I can't help but think there are prettier trees in the area. Possibly even ones that have a trunk?

Just not interesting to me. The cropped version still shows a tilt and nothing unusual or interesting. If I walk out in my yard I can see the same thing in 4 directions.
If it's any consolation, we all have a shot that we really like and NOBODY else likes. Here's one of mine for example.
Birdbath detail.jpg

actually the tree. ...........

Even so, there's still the plant holder and the roof that are huge distractions. By the time you crop those out, you end up with little that will look like a tree.

Granted, the extreme contrast may garner a neat abstract, but I don't think that was your intention.

Keep in mind that the way the human brain "sees" things is very different from how the camera sees. We mentally suppress a lot of the clutter and noise that surrounds whatever it is that we're looking at. The camera can't do that. So you need to help it by figuring out what it is that is catching your interest, and then finding an appropriate angle or perspective, or camera setting that will enable you to reproduce with the camera what is done so easily in your mind.

actually the tree. And I have a cropped version of it which I used as an avatar. Take a look at it

View attachment 96261
. Perhaps my cropped version then is better. But I wanted to hear thoughts on the whole thing anyway.

trees that have a trunk? not in my town.

Just not interesting to me. The cropped version still shows a tilt and nothing unusual or interesting. If I walk out in my yard I can see the same thing in 4 directions.
If it's any consolation, we all have a shot that we really like and NOBODY else likes. Here's one of mine for example.
View attachment 96269
Not bad I like it. Because I like weird stuff also

Not a bad photography, but you need to polish this pic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back