What do you think?...

Textbook definition from schooling days WAY back when .....

1. A good photograph has a clear subject.
It's about something or someone. It may even tell a story about that subject. However the subject is clear and unambiguous Whoever looks at the photo immediately sees the subject.

2. A good photograph focuses attention on the subject.
In other words, the viewers eye is immediately drawn to the subject.

3. A good photograph simplifies.
It includes only those elements that draw the eyes to the subject and it excludes or diminishes those elements that might draw the eye away from the subject.

I DON'T KNOW!!!! That's why I'm here!

I always thought of composition as the arrangement of subjects. I never thought lighting was part of composition. I know its very very very important, but I just didn't think it fell under the composition umbrella (thought it was its own thing).

Lighting is NOT part of composition. It is part of technique as in how technically you deal with the natural lighting or how you add lighting to the scene.

skieur

well if by exposure you dont just mean the shutter speed but also the aperture then i gues my 3 would be.

having the right kind of lens

knowing exactly what you want form the picture

and

taking advantage of what is around you to help adavnce the image more

ioono thas what i think

This has been a pretty cool little thread. I do wish some of these photographers that claim that, "breaking the rules is what it's all about", would outline their thoughts, but,...

What's more of interest to me is of those that answered;

How long did it take to come up with your answer?

&

Is that what you think of when engaging a shot?

With many photos I can't tell I'm having a clear thought process while taking them. Somehow I feel them.

But then, I also think ... come to think of it.

I watch the borders, for example, as not to crop of vital parts of my chosen subject, only because me eye keeps glued to the focus points in the middle of my viewfinder (which is where it's mostly set to).

I re-compose after focusing to bring about the amount of imbalance that will make the image I plan to produce visually pleasant.

I look for lines (for when I was younger, I had an enormous inclination to produce horribly tilted photos!)

I look for as much simplicity as I can possibly create within the photo I plan to take as not to have distracting background elements or things poking in from the sides disturb my composition.

All this applys to photos that I PLAN to take. Sometimes, however (like during the Meet-Up, for example) there also were situations that came and went so fast that only pointing and shooting were possible ... but from among those, you can still apply the "delete" button later if you feel they are simply not right.

Oh, and by the way, abraxas, when I feel that upon taking the photo the choice of lens or something other prevents me to get the chosen frame right in camera, I even allow myself the thought to crop the image later! Why not?

Oh. One more thought came to mind that has not so VERY much to do with composing while taking the photo (and the though process I have in those moments), but with the end results in general - another thing that I take as highly important: weeding.

Once the photos are taken and can be viewed by myself, I let them undergo another thorough thought process, and few only pass!

So I feel learning to CHOOSE, learning to see and feel what later works and what is only so-so and therefore need not be shown to anyone, is as important as observing certain things in the moment of taking the photo.

having the right kind of lens

knowing exactly what you want form the picture

hmm, but many people have both .... but do not manage to get it the way they want it ;)

I include myself here from time to time.

I really do not think there are best ways, just what works for what I am striving to accomplish for the photo. Each photo tells me what I need to do to get the capture I want. I never go to a shoot with any predefined ideas, I like to get there and let the subject, model, etc. inspire the composition.

Having something to say. Like a good book is more than just skilled use of words, a good picture (in my opinion) should say 'something'.
All the skills involved in perfect lighting, perfect exposure etc. can still result in boring pictures, but a picture with a story in it can be beautiful even if it is severely flawed technically. There is no shortage of tack-sharp, well lit bits of boringness around.
But that's just my opinion....

Most reactions

Back