What do you think?

1. I expected a train wreck when I looked at your pics, but they're actually pretty nice. Well executed technically, from what I can tell, and more than a little artistry in them as well. Don't undersell yourself.

2. I had an employer once give us a $2.00 off a coffee coupon for Dunkin Donuts as a Christmas gift. Sometimes just a pat on the back is a better choice. $25-30 is ridiculous. Either charge something real or try to do it pro bono. It's probably an 8 hour event or something. Charge $400 for the day or something like that. (and even that is insanely cheap, btw.)

3. Don't be primary or solo. You ruin the pictures for that wedding and you've ruined someone's memories... and weddings are HARD to shoot. Heavy techincal and social challenges.

Thanks Manaheim! I thinks she stated "I will consider someone who is just starting out or is currently in school" as a way of saying I want a good price. So I might charge $175? And are you saying get an assistant in #3?

I will start looking immediately for someone to locally shadow to see how they handle it. Hopefully I can find someone!

Oh and thanks for #1.

So I might charge $175? And are you saying get an assistant in #3?

In #3, he was basically telling you to BE an assistant. Don't get someone to assist you because then that would make you the primary

Most pro photographers charge THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!

I think she is going to be MORE than willing to pay $175, but you could definitely get more. I still think it's a big mistake if you are still considering doing this on your own.

Well then that's the hard part. I don't know anybody (locally) that can take pictures :(

edit: so I should say I will assist the photographer for $200?

I would send her the original email you had proposed, but instead of doing it for free, add a charge of a couple hundred bucks or so...

Either way, you're going to do what you want and if you end up doing this by yourself, I can almost guarantee you that it's going to backlash and you're going to end up in more trouble than this is worth.

If you don't want to do weddings later, and you really only want to do sports, then why bother doing a wedding?

It's a completely different atmosphere than doing sports and lighting and technicalities are A LOT more difficult. I guess that is my main issue with this whole thread is that you even mention in your email to her that you plan on being a sports photographer...

I guess for the challenge and experience. I like to push myself.

A person looking on Craigslist for a photographer will not likely have a budget for a second shooter.

I think you should stick with the secondary thing ...

ESPECIALLY if it's your first wedding you've ever done AND since you're only a high school student...

I'm also assuming that since you're a high school student, you aren't 18 which means you aren't old enough to even sign your own contract, so you probably aren't old enough to write a contract?

Stick with being a secondary, but charge a small amount. I would say probably like $100 or something. Write out a "disclaimer" for you and her to both sign in "agreement" (not a contract by any means) that says that you are a beginner, this is your first wedding, and you will do your best but will not promise pro quality.... Something along those lines.

Cover your @$$. ABSOLUTELY do NOT NOT NOT offer to be the primary shooter for this wedding and DO NOT NOT NOT charge her a lot...

That's my $0.02... And here's a video to help you out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs

Uh...a signed agreement is a contract.

Well if you get sued, hope it is a TV judge. They are all fake anyway. Any monetary amount is paid by the show!

ESPECIALLY if it's your first wedding you've ever done AND since you're only a high school student...

I'm also assuming that since you're a high school student, you aren't 18 which means you aren't old enough to even sign your own contract, so you probably aren't old enough to write a contract?

Stick with being a secondary, but charge a small amount. I would say probably like $100 or something. Write out a "disclaimer" for you and her to both sign in "agreement" (not a contract by any means) that says that you are a beginner, this is your first wedding, and you will do your best but will not promise pro quality.... Something along those lines.

Cover your @$$. ABSOLUTELY do NOT NOT NOT offer to be the primary shooter for this wedding and DO NOT NOT NOT charge her a lot...

that video made my day! its so funny. " WHERES YOUR 1 SERIES!?"

Funny thing is he knows his stuff, a lot more than the "photographer" They didn't even know what speed their kit lens was! (Both of them they said they had) Please don't do a wedding with a 18-55 and a 75-300!

Uh...a signed agreement is a contract.

It was more the idea of having something in writing for both him and her saying that he is a beginner and can not promise pro quality images. Doesn't have to be signed... Just make sure she is given something, and even just have her sign something saying she received it? I du no... I've had to sign things before that weren't necessarily a contract.....

either you be primary or secondary photographer it would be a great experience for you and i think you'll learn alot,i say you dont charge until you feel ready to do so. wishing you luck,do tell what you decide on though.

I think I will do this pro bono. I wouldn't be doing this for the money anyways. Mainly b/c I just got my first job as a photo assistant! I am so excited for that job, I start Friday!

Most reactions

Back