What do you think?

ConverseAddict10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG

Yes I know two tone color is distracting in some cases but I have been experimenting with diffrent effects

-Aryn

I am also a student photographer so I am pretty new to this

-Aryn
I don't think these belong in the "People Photography" section of the forum. The General Gallery is where these kind of shots belong. General Gallery

You're a student photographer? You should learn this early on: Selective color is lazy editing that is completely unoriginal. Photography is about lighting, not about lazy editing gimmicks. I would suggest you put your focus on lighting and composition and leave this completely overdone editing technique behind you. Sorry for the harshness of what I'm saying, but it's coming from a place of legitimately wanting to help you become a better photographer.

Last edited:
Selective color is lazy editing that is completely unoriginal.

Maybe some truth to this in the context of gimmick editing, but I find selective color a relaxing way to practice editing techniques. It's like electronic doodling for me. No expectation about where the editing is going and nothing lost when I click on X.

Stop and think for a sec. about all the tools in PS that can be utilized from selection, masks, cut, copy, paste, transform, move, clone, fill, brushes, etc., etc. All techniques that can be used in editing any photo. Sometimes learning should be fun.

While I probsbly would have done many things different in composing the shot, working with what had, I might have gone hot wild doodling. From changing background to a sandy beach, to painted scenes on the toenails. There are unlimited possibilities for this.

I think the arrow is far too saturated. back off on the saturation WAY back to almost none, and then I could like it better.

On the feet; I would have picked a different region to use color, not the sandal straps. Try the toenails instead.

Being new, obviously many things you need to learn at this point, my suggestion, would be to concentrate on one thing at a time in the process, from composition, to lighting, to focus, to DOF, to exposure, to post processing............... There is a tendency to want to jump all over the scale as you are learning, but it's important that you remain focused.

That said the selective color with dog, improves on an otherwise unimpressive photo. Course I'm partial to Boxers. We lost our Lola, last year to a brain tumor at 12 yrs old. She was the biggest clown that brought us much joy over the years.
IMG_9776 -b by William Raber, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back