What do you think?

ShootingYou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently shooting with a Nikon FG. I shoot almost exclusively in B&W and mostly do nudes. Here's my question. If I'm planning to upgrade and get a better performing camera, given my format & subject matter, what do fine folks recommend? I have only the following parameters: I want an SLR - digital bores me to tears, and I'd like to not have give up a kidney in order to acquire said camera. Any and all imput is welcomed and appreciated. Thank You.
Chris

Why do you think you need to upgrade?

What is the "better performance" you are looking for?

Thats my question also, what are you looking for that your camera now does not do for you? The FG is a great camera gives you all the options except for AF.

If you don't want to go digital which in some ways I am glad some out there still feel that way the only thing you could do is go with a later model AF body which if you stick with Nikon you can use your current lense but you will not have AF with those older lenses and that puts you back in the same boat.

If you want a more rugged camera you could look for a good used nikon F3 or FM those bodies were geard more toward pros or prosumers a little more armored but really will not do anymore than your FG will do.

Ask yourself are you getting good photos and results you are satisfied with? If so save your money for film and processing and stick with what you have.

BernieSC said:
If so save your money for film and processing and stick with what you have.

Exactly, this is the fastest way to "better performance" that I know.

Sorry for the vague-ness of my post, I was in a slight hurry. When I made mention of better "performance" I'm talking about the richness of detail primarily. Unless the film I use (400 Tri-x), is really weak and there's better option, I simply feel like I could perhaps be getting better images. Also, there seems to be a slight issue with the shutter of the camera. On every photograph I take there is sliver of the negative that is slightly darker than the rest. Depending on the type of negative this is either barely noticale or glaringly apparent. Either way, its another reason I'm intersted in moving up. IF my problems are less severe than I think, and I really should stick with the FG, than I shall. Thanks for the imput!

ShootingYou said:
there seems to be a slight issue with the shutter of the camera. On every photograph I take there is sliver of the negative that is slightly darker than the rest. Depending on the type of negative this is either barely noticale or glaringly apparent.

That's a great reason to consider a new camera.

If you want something like your FG (manual film advance, manual focus, made of metal) then there are many, many inexpensive, used camera options available these days. Just look on Ebay, when you find something interesting, check your favorite search engine, get the stats and features of the camera model, be patient, keep looking... When you know what you want and what it is worth, you can snatch one up.

If you want a modern AF SLR (auto film advance, autofocus, made of space age plastics and alloys) you just need to make sure that whatever you go with it has all of the features you want. People at this site have complained about how their AF 35mm SLR doesn't have a cable relese socket, or bulb setting.

Thanks ks. I'm a fan of the all manual controls, so I'm fine going with an older model. I just didn't know if the issue with the negatives was something that could be corrected, or if I was simply better off getting a new camera at some point. I haer much bandered about the Pentaz K-1000 'round these parts. Might this be a step up? Or should I stay the Nikon course? Thanks again.

ps - I once spent a few years in kansas. Those were the times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back