What do you use editing software for?

I love that effect! You see it in a lot of photos. Looks great :)

Mulewings: That is incredible! Im amazed at the sky! How do you do that!?!

DogGoneGood: I really like how you have brought the background to life, and especially how you edited the dog on the greyscale image :)

O||||||O : I have no idea what that is, but the second image looks so much better with the more vibrants colours :)

rvaphotographer: I really like how you hvae showed me/us 2 different edited images of the same image - gives me/us more ideas :) - i especially like the last one

Hikin Mike: My FAVOURITE! WOW. That is seriously incredible. I am now reading on how to use layer masks on photoshop CS3 extended .... I want to do that!!!!! Im amazed! That has blown me away - the final image looks incredible! Great job!

Thanks for everyone who posted their images and gave me/everyone examples. This has really helped me to see what i can use editing programs for, and how i can make my images look better :)

Wow...I have to agree after browsing through the photos...this is a great thread and wonderful job showing how to edit.

I actually used a method of 'faking' HDR for that. I also then used the 'sliders' to adjust the R/B/G values to pop the sky.

I must agree that there are some excellent examples of editing here. If one were to look closely at the sky I edited,...it would have some graininess to it. [so I am not totally happy with it]

Also I used an old pocket P&S camera to 'shoot' the sky and road while I was getting the mail.

Great discussion.

Gaerek & cfaulds - Thanks! It's not hard at all. I would say 75% of the time I use 2 different exposures and use the Gradient Tool to basically make a GND. Sometimes I'll refine that using a soft-edged brush with a 10-25% opacity on selected spots.

I was hesitant on posting the originals, mainly because I had to start Photoshop and upload the images (I was lazy). I hope that seeing these images, what you can do with a pre-planned idea and a little time. :mrgreen:

beautiful work you do... totally impressed with your art... magnificient ..!

O||||||O : I have no idea what that is, but the second image looks so much better with the more vibrants colours :)

Thanks. It's actually a guitar (Fender Stratocaster).

Gaerek & cfaulds - Thanks! It's not hard at all. I would say 75% of the time I use 2 different exposures and use the Gradient Tool to basically make a GND. Sometimes I'll refine that using a soft-edged brush with a 10-25% opacity on selected spots.

I was hesitant on posting the originals, mainly because I had to start Photoshop and upload the images (I was lazy). I hope that seeing these images, what you can do with a pre-planned idea and a little time. :mrgreen:

Thank you for telling me an idea of what you did! Puts me in the right direction to learn more :)

Well thank god you did. Im amazed at how you have put them together! The best thing about it is that when i look at it, it relaxes my eyes because of the soft colours - sounds 'gay' i know, but it really does! Im in awe.

Thank you for telling me an idea of what you did! Puts me in the right direction to learn more :)

Well thank god you did. Im amazed at how you have put them together! The best thing about it is that when i look at it, it relaxes my eyes because of the soft colours - sounds 'gay' i know, but it really does! Im in awe.

I went ahead and posted what I did to each image. The pink shows the transparent on that layer.

Top image (_IMG_9701):
01-073a_mask.jpg

Middle Image (_IMG_9702):
01-073b_mask.jpg

Bottom image (_IMG_9704):
01-073c.jpg

Here's a screen print of the layers in CS2
01-073_layers.jpg

Yes thank you very much! So helpful indeed

A bit off topic but it says you posted those messages at 4:30am! Im guessing thats the time here in England.

I do things a bit differently. Most of my landscape photographs are at least two separate exposures, hand-blended using Layer Masks in CS2.

Very nice.

That's what HDR should look like, not something out of Alice in Wonderland.

Amen! To that!

For me, I tend to use post-processing to compensate for the color/tonal flatness, softness, etc... that you always have with any RAW format image. Of course, I also correct for my errors like leveling, cropping, exposure, etc...

Before:
DSC_3980%20Small.jpg

After:
DSC_3980-Edit%20Small.jpg

i realise that the most common editing is making the subject stand out more and making the photo have more vibrant colours. Thanks for all the examples!

I was just about to post my examples with my first photos.

I was intending to upload them to Flickr, however my edited photo is over 10mb - its 13.5mb. How can i compress the photo? i dont care if i lose a little quality as its just an example...

Thanks

i realise that the most common editing is making the subject stand out more and making the photo have more vibrant colours. Thanks for all the examples!
Like I said, if you shoot RAW, you're going to have to do some post-processing. Every RAW image will be flat in terms of color range and tonal range; they will all be a little soft even if the focus was dead on; they will all need a little white balance tweaking. Basically, they will all need some saturation, some contrast, some sharpening, some levels/curves adjustment, etc...

If you're going to shoot seriously, I recommend shooting in RAW. If you're going to shoot in RAW, I recommend learning these basic post-processing techniques. This is the same as learning basic darkroom techniques, if you were going to be serious about photography back in the days of film.

I was just about to post my examples with my first photos.

I was intending to upload them to Flickr, however my edited photo is over 10mb - its 13.5mb. How can i compress the photo? i dont care if i lose a little quality as its just an example...

Thanks

I use VSO Image Resizer (it's free and easy) and it'll throw a little watermark down automagically for you.

Otherwise, you can simply change the resolution and/or image size in Photoshop or whatever editing software you use and save a lower-res copy.

Most reactions

Back