What do you use for Aerial Photography?

dascrow

TPF Tech
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your setup look like? What equipment are you using?

I am a pilot and normally have a pilot friend take me up so I can focus on shooting

I wish I had a drone...

My current setup involves turning on the 2 second timer and throwing my camera in the air. ;)

tobfirstfire.jpg

Generally, one of those. Benefits of being a volunteer firefighter and having friends in departments with ladder trucks.

Photo does not belong to me, was taken by Howard Owens of the Batavian.

I'm still new to Aerial photography but here is my setup. It's mostly for a hobby but hope to incorporate it into my business as FAA rules are loosened.

Phantom 2
H3-D3 Gimbal
Gopro 4 Black
Gopro 3+ Silver

(Switch Gopros for different things, some times I attach the 4 to the truck while driving during storms or backpack when hiking etc)

Future plans for maned Ariel photography as well.

Last edited:
I wish I had a drone...

My current setup involves turning on the 2 second timer and throwing my camera in the air. ;)
I use a Trampoline. It's much safer :)

How is Ariel?
I haven't seen her in a while. Lol.
That's one a spell checker won't catch.

I've had pretty good luck with Landsat 7 though IKONOS has much better resolution.

On the rare occasions he's in the country & our schedules allow I try to go up in a Cessna flown by my brother. Positioning isn't as good as it was on my helicopter flight, but it's easier to avoid reflections from the cockpit glass.

At some point I intend to get an ultra lightweight key fob camera, to try lower level stuff from either a pole or a tethered balloon. Both very cheap options that just need me to find some time.

On the rare occasions he's in the country & our schedules allow I try to go up in a Cessna flown by my brother. Positioning isn't as good as it was on my helicopter flight, but it's easier to avoid reflections from the cockpit glass.

At some point I intend to get an ultra lightweight key fob camera, to try lower level stuff from either a pole or a tethered balloon. Both very cheap options that just need me to find some time.

Sounds fun, I keep saying I'm going to take a helicopter tour but just haven't gotten around to it.

Jet boots. You know, like the ones Mr. Spock used in the one StarTrek movie.

My best friend has a DJI Inspire 1

We shot this footage over the weekend, we're both still pretty new at this.

What's your setup look like? What equipment are you using?

When flying, depending on what I'm trying to do, this works for me: D810 with 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5; or 50mm f/1.2; or 50mm f/1.8; or 70-200mm f/2.8; or 105mm f/2.8.

The 50mm-105mm focal length interval is my best option, for personal taste.

Most reactions

Back