What do you use to print your photo's with?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by stepbill, Jun 23, 2008.

1. stepbill

stepbill TPF Noob!

Was curious what everyone was using to print their quality photo's with? Are you using an ink jet printer, a service or what? Thanks for the help.

2. timbearden

timbearden TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a printer!

More specifically I use an Epson 3800, HP Photosmart A716, and an old Canon I550.

The epson 3800 prints the best quality I've ever had in a printer, but costs a lot of money.

3. ponyboy4130

ponyboy4130 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have heard costco is excellent, (that pros use it, for cost, and there good) I havent used it yet, dont have the guts to print anything yet. But i think you can sync your color settings to their profiles in photoshop, i wonder if lightroom too?

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I print my photos with mpix.com

Seriously.

5. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For black and white, traditional darkroom enlargement.

For slides, ilfochrome whenever possible.

For other color work, an Oce Lightjet or Durst Lambda, though a printer on MM offered me an 11x14 metallic print on a Chromira, so we'll see how it stacks up. He claims he's owned a LightJet and thinks the Chromira is better.

I really do love black and white prints. So much so, in fact, that I'm having a 4x5 negative printed on an LVT of this image just so I can print it on a true black and white paper.

I've thought about printing edited color images onto chromes so that I can print Ilfochromes of them. Boy you haven't seen a color print till you've seen an Ilfochrome. On the other hand I might just mail a cd off to a lab somewhere else. The LightJet at my local pro lab is only setup to print RA4. If I could just find a damned 4x5 attachment for a ProPalette I'd be doing it myself.

I also print from time to time on an Epson 7800 for color work. I have a stash of 20x24 glossy Ilford Media Board that makes very nice poster/presentation style images, and at about 1mm thick it requires no matting. For some reason, that particular "paper" will not bronze no matter how much ink the printer lays down, which is something I occasionally have a problem with on semi-gloss and lustre papers. I've been meaning to toy around with Hahnemeuhle's matte rag papers but I just don't care enough about inkjets at the moment.

6. taracor

taracor TPF Noob!

Generally I use my inkjet printer. However if I need to make many prints, or a large one, I get it done at some place that offers print service.

7. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use White House Custom Colors

8. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    HP Photosmart 7360 if anyone actually wants a photo of something I have. Can be had for pretty cheap these days. recommended for quality prints - drinks ink of course - just the way they are made.

9. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

I go to walgreens, they often have deals, and I used to work there so I just know that they are reliable and they get their photos done within an hour, which is always a plus. And now walgreens (certain locations) will make even larger prints than an 8X10. THree sizes larger I beleive.

10. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

I go to walgreens, they often have deals, and I used to work there so I just know that they are reliable and they get their photos done within an hour, which is always a plus. And now walgreens (certain locations) will make even larger prints than an 8X10. THree sizes larger I beleive.

11. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use either White House Custom Color or H&H Color Lab. Both have great customer service. I find that printing from a home printer ends up costing quite a bit in ink if you do a lot of printing.

12. Fox Paw

Fox Paw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    HP inkjet. For enlargements (18X24), I used to use Community Webshots, but they print from such a compressed version of the photo that you use a lot. Local photo store will print from tifs for nine bucks more ($29) and the quality is wonderful.