What does it all mean??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jrwillden, May 26, 2008.

1. jrwillden

jrwillden TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can anyone let me know what I've just bought...

I purchased this lens yesterday off the internet: Tamron AF 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 LD Aspherical (IF) Super.

I don't know what I did. I heard this was a good lens somewhere but did I make a wrong choice for a beginner? I don't know if it's fast or slow. I don't even know what LD Aspherical (IF) Super means.

I thought I also saw somewhere it is a macro or has a macro function. But with that aperture? See! I don't know ANYTHING about this equipment or how to even use the words in the right context. Oh what have I done?!!

Can anyone tell me what this lens is all about? :confused:

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First advice:
    - Don`t be buying things when you know nothing about it!

Second advice:
    - No its not a fast lens.

Third advice:
    - Is it a good lens? In brighter conditions, perhaps... but its still not a very sharp lens.

This is a general usage lens for average use. It has a nice amount of zoom but it won`t be very sharp nor be very good indoors or in places where light is limited.

Did I mention to not do things like spending your money until you educate yourself at least on WHAT it is your are spending your money on?

3. jrwillden

jrwillden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, I realize how foolish I am. I'm an impulse buyer. I really was hoping I made a good choice. BUT I did want it to take pictures indoors and to be sharp so it seems I have wasted a chunck of change. Perhaps I will find use for it in the future when I am more experienced. Thank you for the input.

4. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. jrwillden

jrwillden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for that site. I can't seem to find this specific lens...perhaps it's older..anyway, I found a review for a similar one that says it is useless in low light conditions. Soooo....

Would having a flash (not the built in one) make a difference in low light, or indoors?

6. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

Yes that would make a difference: it would improve the amount of light your lens catches. But whether you like that difference remains to be seen. It would not improve the optical characteristics of that lens: it wouldn't get any sharper, or less flare, or less chromatic abberration (a.k.a. purple fringeing)...

7. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I have the Tamron 28-300mm and, dont have any problems with. Indorrs you can also bump up your ISO for indoors. Best thing to do is set your camera on a tripod and, shoot a pic of the same thing at diffrent f-ratios. There will be a point where the lens will be its sharpest. The only gripe I have with the Tamron is it is slow on focusing but, otherwise it is a great lens.

8. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

With 99% of lenses that point – the 'sweet spot' – is about 2 to 3 stops closed down from its widest aperture. So also in that respect it is advisable to have as fast as possible glass if you want any chance at meaningful control of the DoF.

9. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't worry too much about low light situations. As Joves stated, you can always us a tripod in those situations. When you are reviewing lenses, it is more important to look at features that you have no control over like sharpness, barrel distortion, auto-focus capablilties, etc.

As for the 28-200, you own it now, so go out and shoot with it. Find out what you like about it and what you don't like about it. Even if it is a poor lens, use it for a learning experience.

10. jrwillden

jrwillden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So what does the f/3.8-5.6 mean on this particular lens? Does that mean 3.8 is its widest apeture?

11. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    3.8 is the largest aperture at the wide end, yes. Your lens can't maintain 3.8 as you zoom, though, so it is 5.6 at the zoom end.

12. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can always try to resell it and buy something else.