What does your holiday look like?

Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm an american who has moved to Europe, and one of the things I find fascinating is the different ways different cultures celebrate the holidays.

For instance, all throughout germany there are christmas markets sellings christmas schmuck, and in Aachen, they make gingerbread cookies that are covered with chocolate, nuts, and all sorts of goodies.

don't you just want some of these?!?!?!

20081222-aachen-12222008_0081.jpg

20081222-aachen-12222008_0082.jpg

How do they celebrate the holidays in your neck of the woods? And of course, please feel free to share some pictures. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

My mother is German, my father is Czech, we may live in Canada but our hearts are still European and we all cook like it too. Suffice to say that at least 30 variations of strudels, twists, chocolat treats and cookies proliferate during the vacations. Dumplings, sauerkraut, hams, goose, chicken and soups are standard vacation fare for us.

My mother has been up and cooking/baking since 5:00AM (it's now 7:42PM here) and is preparing the fish, salads and deserts that shall be part of our Christmas, which we as Europeans celebrate on the 24th, instead of the more Americanized variant of the 25th.

No pics for now, maybe later. :)

PS... your white balance needs a little adjusting. ;)

We string up some white lights and mix in some random colored lights, 1/3 blinking, 1/3 steady, and 1/3 blinking and zipping around in various patterns of course) on the ole trailer and shed. Occasionally, the kids will get creative with the lights and some of the old junk cars and washing machines out in the front yard.

Last year we put up a nice Santa sleigh and reindeer display....

redneckchristmas.jpg

Nice light display.

And I must say - that addition to the house looks quite lovely!

My mother is German, my father is Czech, we may live in Canada but our hearts are still European and we all cook like it too. Suffice to say that at least 30 variations of strudels, twists, chocolat treats and cookies proliferate during the vacations. Dumplings, sauerkraut, hams, goose, chicken and soups are standard vacation fare for us.

My mother has been up and cooking/baking since 5:00AM (it's now 7:42PM here) and is preparing the fish, salads and deserts that shall be part of our Christmas, which we as Europeans celebrate on the 24th, instead of the more Americanized variant of the 25th.

No pics for now, maybe later. :)

PS... your white balance needs a little adjusting. ;)

MMMM sauerkraut.... My mothers side is German. We devour some sourkraut pretty much all year round but especially during the holidays. It's good luck to eat sourkraut on new years day ya know. Jerry you should come to Cincinnati for Octoberfest some year. Cincinnati has a very large German decent population, and we celebrate it every October.

My holiday looks like work. :( Working christmas day becasue its just a normal day here.

Did participate slightly in a holiday event last night at the hotel. Although I didn't understand a word. I knew what was going on. Read up on it on wikipedia. But saw the lighting of a hannakua candle day #4. Not Jewish and don't know Hebrew so no clue what the prayer was. But I do know the signifigence of it to them at least.

Last time I was over here for the holidays, we had a small fake christmas tree in our office. But the guy who brought it with him has since died. So no christmas for us over here anymore.

At our house the wife has up a real tree, and decorations, couple fake ones inside and out. But her family changed some plans and are not comming till late christmas day now. Expected them earlier this week. So, she is a little bummed, no family around till later on christmas day.

For instance, all throughout germany there are christmas markets sellings christmas schmuck, and in Aachen, they make gingerbread cookies that are covered with chocolate, nuts, and all sorts of goodies.

don't you just want some of these?!?!?!

Oh, my mouth is watering. My dad was in the Army, and we lived in Germany for 10 years. I really miss the Kris Kringle Markt in Nurnburg....I can still smell the Gluwiene......:drool:

Can anyone send me some......:lol:

.It's good luck to eat sourkraut on new years day ya know.
That's what they say, however, my friend who is French-Canadian and visits us, gets a terrible case of the winds... guess he's not used to it... LOL!

Jerry you should come to Cincinnati for Octoberfest some year. Cincinnati has a very large German decent population, and we celebrate it every October.

Cincinnati is an awesome place that I'd love to visit one day. Chicago also boasts a large German population and a huge Octoberfest. I took my parents this year to the largest Octoberfest in Canada for their 50th anniversary, we had an *incredible* time!

Looking out my window this morning, Canada is sure not disappointing me with the Christmas spirit... its snowing up a nice little blizzard here today. It is the ONLY 2 days of the year that I like snow (Dec 24th and 25th). Amazing what feelings are stirred up when you wake up to a house that smells like gingerbread, apples, cinnamon and a touch of chocolate first thing in the morning... that is going to change to a traditional meal of fish (no meats for us today) and the turkey, stuffing, hams, salads and on and on, happen tomorrow.

Eat today friends, for next week, we diet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LIFE IS GOOD! :D

Oh, my mouth is watering. My dad was in the Army, and we lived in Germany for 10 years. I really miss the Kris Kringle Markt in Nurnburg....I can still smell the Gluwiene......:drool:

Can anyone send me some......:lol:

Never been in Germany for the holidays, but I have spent some time there to the point that the Corner Steak House owner new what I wanted when I came in. :mrgreen: Jaeger Schnitzel :drool: I am always looking for a good meal of it in the states. And have yet to find it. :(

I am not a drinker, and yet the bar man at the hotel my company uses knows me by name. That can tell you something about their beer too. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back