What does your name mean?

Linda:

This name could be derived from several sources. It could be from Spanish linda meaning "beautiful"; it could be a short form of BELINDA or MELINDA; or it could be a short form of Germanic names ending with the element linde meaning "soft, tender".

My name would be Eric, and it would mean 'honoured ruler,' 'complete ruler,' or 'kingly, ever so powerful'.

Wow I like this.

Benjamin (Ben)

From the Hebrew name Binyamin which means "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews.

My parents told me they like the name because it sound good with a Title in front of it, like Dr Benjamin Berndt. I told them that was a weak reason.

JOHN
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: JAHN [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites, Comments
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

thanks Linda!

seems i better tighten up, eh?

Eric. said:
My name would be Eric, and it would mean 'honoured ruler,' 'complete ruler,' or 'kingly, ever so powerful'.

Wow I like this.

Oh GAWD!!! I am SOOO not telling that to my boyfriend (same name different spelling)

Apparently mine means "One who hears", which is not entirely accurate considering how many times I say "huh?". I'm not sure if there is a Greek/Hebrew name for "One who wasn't paying attention" :mrgreen:. Another possible reading is "One who obeys". Here I think "One who will do it tomorrow" might be better :mrgreen:.

Strangely, any searches I do on Hertz van Rental just return car adverts. Anyone know why?

Guess it might mean 'one who hires out cars'....

If I combine my first and middle, I come out with Of Noble Birth Victorious People

I'm still plural ... but I'm ROYALTY!!!

Where the heck is my tiara?!?!

Hertz van Rental said:
Guess it might mean 'one who hires out cars'....

Don't be silly... the Bible was sponsored by EasyCar. Hence that reference to Stelios. What? no-one spotted that? Try reading it again :D

Most reactions

Back