What does your name mean?

hobbes28 said:
Norman French form of the Germanic name Alberic which meant "elf power", composed of the elements alb "elf" and ric "power". Alberic was the name of the sorcerer king of the elves in Germanic mythology.
So are you are in charge of the TPF pixies too?

Troy
Pronunciation: troy
Origin: Irish, Gaelic
Meaning: "Descendant of the footsoldier."
Notes: Surname given to those who migrated to England from the French city of Troyes after the Norman conquest of 1066. As a given name, Troy may derive from the ancient Greek city where the Trojan wars were fought. Actor Troy Donahue made the name popular in the 1960s and 1970s. Jane Fonda named one of her children Troy. Football player Troy Aikman.
Variants: Troi, Troye
Other names starting with: Tr-, Tro-
Other names ending with: -oy, -roy
Popularity: The name Troy ranked 138 out of 1219 (Top 11%) as a first name for males of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. The name Troy ranked 4348 out of 88799 (Top 5%) as a surname for males and females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

And I was named for the actor named above Troy Donahue

My last name is also Irish (catholic)

The name Robert means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod (fame) and beraht (bright). The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of Scotland from England in the 14th century.
The name may be shortened to the nicknames Robby/Robbie/Rabbie (in Scotland), Robban (Sweden), Bob/Bobbers/Bobby/Bobert, and Rob. The dutch form is Robbert.
The Italian form of the name, Roberto, became ideologically motivated in the time of the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis, from the name of the three capitals: Rome, Berlin, and Tokyo.

My real name is Gloria...stands for Glory...hum, ya dont say!!!

My cybername was gonna be WhoresClaws after I met some-one who said my long nails made him cringe & he thought they looked like whores claws (charming).
Thought it just might give the wrong impression if I went with the above so settled on Glorsclaws...but everyone calls me Glo...no, I said Glo! ;)

Jason has greek origins (Jason & the Argonauts) which means "Healer", so if Alex can't protect you, and you get clobbered, come see me and i'll heal you... ;)

The name Jason is also found in Acts 17:5-9 as a translation from the Hebrew name Joshua.

It was the most popular male name in the US for the year i was born.

JTHphoto said:
Jason has greek origins (Jason & the Argonauts) which means "Healer", so if Alex can't protect you, and you get clobbered, come see me and i'll heal you... ;)

The name Jason is also found in Acts 17:5-9 as a translation from the Hebrew name Joshua.

It was the most popular male name in the US for the year i was born.

Were you born in 75 per chance....My oldest son's name is also Jason.

close - '77 actually

photo gal said:
Were you born in 75 per chance....My oldest son's name is also Jason.

JTHphoto said:
Now all we need is latex suits and cool nicknames and we're ready to save this world! :lol:

From the ancient Greek name Κοριννα (Korinna), which was derived from κορη (kore) "maiden". This was the name of a Greek lyric poet of the 5th century BC. Also, the Roman poet Ovid wrote love poems about a woman named Corinna.

Most reactions

Back