what does yours smell like when it gets wet?

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sooo . . . southeast asia is rainy this time of year . . . so my gear is wet, alot. then it goes in my bag if it comes down more than i'm comfortable with, or when its time to hit the road again. so i open my bag up this morning (yesterday wet d200 and lenses went straight in the bag) and omg it smells. even the camera strap. what do i do? i'm talkin, smells like wet shoes. advice would be appreciated.

Aside from putting everything in a sealed bag with a 1/2 pound of desiccant (silicone balls for dehumidifying) and leaving it for a couple of days, you might want to call Nikon.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but do try having some of the packets in your bag. You can recharge them by microwave I believe.

mike

You might want ot be careful with the dessicant, most cameras have a range of humidity (for operating and for storage), I know mine is 30-90% operating and 10-90% storage. I have the opposite problem it's so damn dry here I'm worried, it was only 5% humidity yesterday!

I would dessicate the bag alone not with your equipment in it. Dry your equipment by hand, the D200 is weather sealed right?

It's most likely the fabric that is getting pungent...the strap and the bag...but you certainly want to avoid getting any fungus in the lens or camera. If you have a low humidity area (house with AC etc) I'd suggest taking everything out and letting it sit for a while. If you don't, desiccant may be the way to go. I always keep little bags of Silica Gel in my bag...although I've heard some people say that it would actually take a lot more than those little bags to remove any real moisture.

If you can help it...don't keep your gear zipped up in your bag until everything is dried out. Being locked up in a damp bag for long periods of time is probably the worst scenario.

yeah i know that and like an idiot didn't let it air out when i got home, its all airing now though. . . that strap is wretched.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back