What DSLR Should I Get?

ieuan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi im a photography student currently in my first year at college(UK)
my parents have agreed to help me buy a DSLR so im wondering if anyone could give me advice on what would be the best option for me.
my budget is around £400 but i could go a little higher.
ive been looking at the Canon EOS 400D so any comments on that camera would be great.
thanks

Welcome to the forum.

This must be the most often asked question we see. Take some time to browse the Beginner's area and see what others have already said. Or try the search function.

The 400D is a great camera, no worries there.

ive been reading some reviews on the canon and it seems that a lot of people arent happy with the standard lens that comes with it.
any idea how a Nikon D40X compares?

im also quite tempted to save a little more money and opt for the Nikon D60. there are a lot of very positive reviews on it

Here we go again... I will give the rote "go to the store and hold one blah blah blah....." response.

Here we go again... I will give the rote "go to the store and hold one blah blah blah....." response.

Ignore this fellow .. he's a nikon shooter and should be relegated to the corner... :mrgreen:

nah.. joking...

Seriously.. he's right. BUT the 400D you mention is a mighty nice camera for the budget.

www.dpreview.com has a full review on the 400D.

i would find a nikon d40. d40x will be next to impossible to find.
they're both the same camera, one has a 10mp sensor the other is 6. you'd be fine with 6. with that, an 18x24 isn't pushing it.

Buy a lens and then get a camera to fit it. ;)

No, really.
That's actually the BEST advice I've seen yet! (Seriously!) Problem is, most n00bs have no idea what's what and what they'll eventually want, and won't really figure it out until they've already bought into a system. Still, it's very good advice. Bodies come and go every 18 months, but the lenses you'll have for much much longer.

Most reactions

Back