What DSLR to get? Canon, Nikon or Sony

JonnyBoy6600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i am new here to this forum and i have one burning question in my mind, WHAT DSLR TO GET? i was given my grandad's Minolta Dynax SLR as i like just taking photos of anything, so i have been using that for about two months now and the photos i have produced are good (i think) but i am getting irritated with having to scan my photos so i can put them on to my mac (i know when you can get them developed you can have them on disk but it costs an extra £4 each disc). So im now looking for a digital SLR so i can just connect it up to my laptop and upload them (quicker and easier), but im confused with which one to get, i first looked at the Sony A200, then the Nikon D40 and D60 but now im thinking of either the Canon EOS 400D or EOS 450D. Im mainly looking for one that has a big screen, good megapixels, wide range of interchangeable lenses, high FPS for bursts of shots and really any other good factor. I have around £300-£450 to spend could stretch to more if needed. So i was wondering in your minds what do you think i should get?

if u want a big screen and high FPS
look at a used Canon 30D very good camera from what ive heard/seen
can be had for £300 ish used with a good kit lens and maybe a cheap telephoto in the near future

Im mainly looking for one that has a big screen, good megapixels, wide range of interchangeable lenses, high FPS for bursts of shots and really any other good factor.

Well every camera you listed has these features. What you need to do is stop looking at specs on the internet and go to the local camera store and look at them.
Hold each of them, play with the controls and see what fits you best. Everyone here had to do the same thing at some point in time. There is no clear winner, every camera has advantages and disadvantages.

Go hold them, if it is the right fit you will know.

Now having said that, buy the Nikon, they are the best:lol:

Speedtrap is right.... go to a camera store and hold them ALL... then buy a Nikon

You mean "buy a Canon" ;) . No sense in buying a toy when you can have the real thing! :p

You mean "buy a Canon" ;) . No sense in buying a toy when you can have the real thing! :p

really?.... I thought the light.. plasticky... Tonka Toy feel of the Canon made it feel more like a toy...

Tony Danza shoots Nikon... so.... nuff said...

"YES"

To OP - if you click the FAQ link in my sig, you'll see there's a number of great threads to help people sort out which camera to get. ;)

well my opinion is to consider closely between Nikon and Canon (leave sony out of it) and go for the Nikon :D that's what i did. I don't know about your place but here the nikon d60 was cheaper than the 400d and the 450d didn't look interesting to me(the d80 was interesting but to expensive for my budget at the time) so that and the better quality of the kit lens plus a decent cheap telephoto got me to chose the nikon ;)

Just go to a store and use the camera's. The specs you listed are pretty much universal on DSLR's. Just see what you like the most. I just bought my Nikon D40 18-55 kit last night and I'm in love with it. I tried the Canon Rebel XTi and didn't like the controls much. I was more comfortable with the Nikon.

If you want to use your Dynax lenses and not have to purchase new ones for a while, get the Sony. Minolta AF lenses are ready to work with all Sony DSLR's.

I think for someone starting digital SLR photography, Nikon or Canon are the only options to consider.
The thing with SLRs is that you start building a system, each with their own pace one lens a year, perhaps every other or third year. But, as years go by you find youself collecting more and more components.

Canon and Nikon lead the pack with gen-to-gen compatibility on their SLR systems (lenses, speedlights, remote releases, etc). Also note on a DSLR body you're bound to change the LiIon rechargable battery after four years or so, the more popular system you have, the better chances you'll be able to find that battery after the body itself is discontinued.

I personally am a Nikon man, must say that if I had to start from scratch i'd probably go Canon. IMO, today, Nikon only has edge in their flash systems, except that, Canon have better sensors, and seemingly better lens selection, especially if you compare to Nikon entry level bodies which do not have focusing motors and hence do not autofocus with Nikkor's (excellent) legacy lenses.

Go to a store, hold them all, and decide which one feels best. They're all surprisingly good cameras that will be able to do more than you for quite a while.

I disagree with amba, btw. Sony was previously Konica Minolta, and they have good lenses. Pentax will also accommodate a long line of good lenses - and their cameras are weather-sealed, none of the others are at this price point.

buy the sony...less money, more camera, built in image stabilization, compatible with your lenses if they are AF. Minolta was the first out with autofocus SLR...Sony bought out minolta and took over (and obviously re-named to sony alpha). Sigma and Tamron both make quite a few sony alpha/minolta maxxum compatible lenses...

besides, unless you buy a Nikon D3, your buying a sony sensor in a nikon. Canon makes their own sensors...

but then again I never plan on buying really high-end lenses. I dont make enough money to buy high-end ANYTHING. Nor would I need high end anything.

to each their own...

Yeah we gotta get some canon support going in this thread g's! My reason for going canon and not nikon, well one of my reasons anyways, was their HUGE selection of lenses. your options in terms of lenses and other accessories would be shallower if you were to go with sony. I held some of the entry level nikon DSLRs and just didnt like the interface on the cameras as much as canon. And of course you dont see those flashy white lenses on the side lines of major sporting events and other locations for no reason. Every knows the quality of 'L'

:hail:CANON :mrgreen:

Yeah we gotta get some canon support going in this thread g's! My reason for going canon and not nikon, well one of my reasons anyways, was their HUGE selection of lenses. your options in terms of lenses and other accessories would be shallower if you were to go with sony. I held some of the entry level nikon DSLRs and just didnt like the interface on the cameras as much as canon. And of course you dont see those flashy white lenses on the side lines of major sporting events and other locations for no reason. Every knows the quality of 'L'

:hail:CANON :mrgreen:

Perhaps you missed in my post where I advised the forum that Tony Danza shoots Nikon??.... Hmmm?...

Most reactions

Back