What equiptment do I need to achieve this look?

AmourAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an amature and I am looking to take better photos for my online business until I expand enough to hire a professional photographer to do the job.

I need to take photos of items on a gray or white backdrop, but the ones I've seen look dated and blah. I have been using upholstry fabric (first images below) but I really want something similar to what is posted in the second photos linked below (appears to be paper or vinyl).

I am using a Canon Powershot Elph (as I said, I am not a photographer but want to improve) and I have 2 umbrella lights I use as well. I use the macro setting with no flash and I put one umbrella directly on one side (for shadow to create depth).

I was also considering doing something like the 3rd photo where there is no background and you photoshop in reflection. I am slowly getting better at photoshop, so if anyone can suggest sites with instruction on acheiving that look or a ballpark of how long it takes to edit photos in that way then I would appreciate it! I know it will take practice, but it is a great skill to have.

My Photos: Louis Vuitton Limited Edition Monogram Canvas Theda PM : MALLERIES

The look I am aiming for: Louis Vuitton Trunk Cotteville 45 : MALLERIES

The look I am ultimately aiming for: LOUIS VUITTON Monogram Leonor Bag: cw13587.3 Fashionphile - Buy, Sell, Consign Authentic Authentic Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Balenciaga

Any help is truely appreciated. I am on a limited budget. TIA!

I did a quick google search and found this:

DIY Lightbox Light Box for Product Photography | jyoseph.com

might be helpful. You need a decent lighting setup, or even a basic one like this guy is using. You can even get a basic product photography kit from Ritz with small studio lights and a lightbox to start you off. It'll help you get that pure white background your looking for. You can use a few standard light fixtures like in the DIY tutorial and daylight balanced bulbs, or you can look at some cheap mono lights as well. Moving the lights around will help you minimize the shadows.

In terms of a camera, I'd look at maybe a used nikon d80 and either a 50mm f1.8 (really cheap) or a 60mm af-s macro (not so cheap). I don't know that much about product photography, but I think both of them can get the job done. From there, just learn the basics of exposure and depth of field and your good to go. You could probably just start in "aperture priority" mode and shoot at F8 or so, to keep the whole product in focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back