What f/stop do you normally use for portrait and landscape?

With our flash setup, we use GENERALLY f11 or so. We can get f16 out of our high key background lights, but only f11 out of our foreground lights, so the background really shows up as white.

For outdoor ethereal portrait, I'm somewhere between f1.4-f2. Indoor studio style portrait, I'm about f8-f9. For landscape, I'm somewhere between f5.6-f11. It depends on the focal length, the distance from me and my subject, and what I want to get from the photos artistically.

Studio portrait, shot at f10 I believe.
nik8455[1].jpg

Landscape, shot at f11 or smaller. I don't remember exactly

_NIK5910.jpg

Ethereal outdoor portrait, shot at f1.6.
_D6C2171.jpg

Sigh.....

Well it really depends.
But your also dealing with a weirdo here.

I have shot (depending on lens and camera type) everything from a f1.4 to a f42. (Med. and Lg. format)

My fav. is hovering around a f16 or so. But that's typ. with a full frame camera, 100 or 135 mm lens with a 76 mm dia. front optic.

For portraits f1.8-f8 depending on what I'm looking for. I pretty much have the same opinion as Derrel and try and provide myself with a bit of leeway so my favorite apertures are f6.3 and f7.1 usualy. I don't shoot a lot of portraits though.

For landscapes f8-f16 for the majority unless I'm handholding and struggling with light in which case I may sacrifice a bit of DOF for a lower ISO.

I dont do much portrait or landscape really.

Obviously I would usually go for rather shallow depht of field with portraits, unless it was in a studio with full control over the background, and the opposite with landscape.

For portraits, always use f/1.4. If you don't have a lens that bright, why not?

For landscapes, always use f/16-f/32. The larger the number, the sharper the image, naturally.

I use a lawnmower and hedge trimmers for landscaping and a brush and canvas for portraits.

Most reactions

Back