What film iso should I use to photo a band performing a at a small bar?

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I'm working on my last project and one of the shots I need is to photo a lead guitarist of a band who is performing in a small bar. I'm thinking something like this: Remember on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I don't want to use ISO 3200. Preferably I would like to use 100 iso, but would consider 400 iso.

The shot does need to be as clear as that, I would actually prefer a slight blur to not make out the face. But I want it to be about this dark.

Is that possible with either 100 or 400 iso?

It depends on how dark it actually is in the bar. If it's extremely dim lighting, you won't get much detail using 100 or 400, and you would need an extremely slow shutter speed and a wide aperture, which would be nothing but blur. I'd try 800 or 1600.

I think you're definitely asking for trouble if you try this with 100. If you can't use 3200 then I recommend that you go with 400 and push it one stop to 800.

By the way, I think Kodak's P3200 is actually ASA 1000. You might consider shooting it at that speed. Just remember to let the lab know what you did.

Last edited:
Most bars i've been to i'd use 1600 or higher.. 100 iso is just not gonna happen at a bar, unless you use a flash. 400 would be pushing it.. 800 would probably work if you've got a steady hand and a fast lens.

Hey guys. I'm working on my last project and one of the shots I need is to photo a lead guitarist of a band who is performing in a small bar. I'm thinking something like this: Remember on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I don't want to use ISO 3200. Preferably I would like to use 100 iso, but would consider 400 iso.

The shot does need to be as clear as that, I would actually prefer a slight blur to not make out the face. But I want it to be about this dark.

Is that possible with either 100 or 400 iso?

It's possible with Ilford XP2 Super and a steady hold and a reasonably fast lens.

what iso 1600 or 3200 film would you recommend?
There's not much choice. Kodak and Ilford make 3200. Fuji makes Neopan 1600. For color Fuji used to make 1600 but I think it's been discontinued, leaving Kodak Portra 800 which can be pushed to 1600. It's all good stuff.

Hey. Sorry, I forgot to add that I plan to bring like a little 1 foot tall tri-pod.
Well then, if you can get your subject to pose and remain still long enough you can use any film speed you want.

I have another question on this case too. Tonight i want to go to a little concert in a small club. I bought color film Kodak kodacolor 400 ISO. So if this on a larger aperture on my Sigma 28-70mm lens (which is 3.5 on 28mm and 4.5 on 70mm).
So i'm planning if it is slow still, to make the exposure to EV/-1, so to make the film like 800 ISO in the development.

Should i use some exact metering (spot, evaluate, center etc) to make faster metering.
It's my first shooting in a club, on a concert, with film, so any tips would be welcome.

thanx.

I have another question on this case too. Tonight i want to go to a little concert in a small club. I bought color film Kodak kodacolor 400 ISO. So if this on a larger aperture on my Sigma 28-70mm lens (which is 3.5 on 28mm and 4.5 on 70mm).
So i'm planning if it is slow still, to make the exposure to EV/-1, so to make the film like 800 ISO in the development.

Should i use some exact metering (spot, evaluate, center etc) to make faster metering.
It's my first shooting in a club, on a concert, with film, so any tips would be welcome.

thanx.

What camera/lens combo were you thinking of?

J.:mrgreen:

Minolta maxxum 600 si
Sigma 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5
Kodak kodacolor 400 (i want to push it to 800, by 1 stop).

<snip>leaving Kodak Portra 800 which can be pushed to 1600.<snip>

This is probably a great option. Shoot one (or just some of a roll at regular setting) and push on the rest or other roll(s).

You might also consider into that same bar with your camera to gauge lighting using it's built in meter from different perspectives some night. That way you can play it out in your mind a bit if you want to change stops up or down. I realize they'll probably have special lighting for the event, so you may also want to get there early?

Whatever the case, under-exposed will be hard to correct later.

I pushed Arista Premium 400(aka tri-x) to 1600 while I was visiting my family and my bro's band was playing a couple weeks ago. The bar, accurately named 'the cave' was pretty dark.. the mirrorless leica (less vibration when the shutter's pressed) might've been a slight factor, but probably not much

this is the same night

Most reactions

New Topics

Back