What film to use?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Muffinabus, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Muffinabus

Muffinabus TPF Noob!

I have a basic idea of film speeds now, but I've no clue what the difference is between the film, ha, if that makes any sense. I want to get decent quality shots, but when looking around at my local convenience stores I see what looks like just general film for the everyday point and shoot camera user. Is there anything I should look out for when purchasing color film?

Right now I'm looking to buy a roll of ISO 400 color 35mm film, I plan on going to Chicago tomorrow to work on some street photography and get some people shots in as well, so I wanted the faster speed for the easier candid shots and whatnot (it'll probably be mid-late day, partly cloudy). I know it probably isn't TOO wise to try for more 'professional' expensive film when I'm still learning, but I want to get a feel for it at the same time and see what I can really do with my ol' Canon A-1. Any suggestions?

2. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    id go with kodak ultramax 400for wat u need.. ive been wanting to try out that new kodak film tho ektar 100 or at least see some shots takin with it. B/W if ur ever ganna do nature shots.. use slide film, it has way better colors in my opinion. but the down side is the exposure latitude is less

3. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yea.. forgot to add. kodak ultramax 400 is definitely the best i can think of thats not pro. and its pretty good, i use it all the time when i dont feel like paying crazy money for slide film

4. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Street shots are great in Black and White. I would recommend TMax 400 (TMY400) or BW400CN in its absence. Stay away from cheap generic house brand packaged fluff type crap film. Go name brand. If you get 400CN it can be one houred. If you go with TMax you will have to have it sent off to be developed. Take about a week. Well worth the wait. Or put out about $150 or so at the most and develop it yourself. Even more well worth the wait. Very rewarding and the learning curve to process your own is like zero to frickin insane and in the long run will reduce your costs by about 50% with the same film. Get your head around that.

5. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you like cooler tones, (kodak is a warmer film generally) Fujicolor 200 and Fuji Superia 400 are good, and cheap, available at supermarkets and drug stores everywhere.

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anyone used Rollei ATP 1.1 (Advanced Technical Pan) before?

I'm going to order some tomorrow. From what I've read about it it has very high resolution and very little latitude. Just wondering what to expect...

7. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fuji Reala. Relatively easy to come by...pretty spot-on colors, good exposure latitude. It's pretty much the ideal all-purpose color negative film. It can go from street photography to a wedding without skipping a beat.