What filter should I get for a Nikon D5100?

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of purchasing a filter for a Nikon D5100 to take photos of landscapes. Any recommendations on what brand and type I should buy? I am new to Dslr, so don't know much at this point just learning. Can one filter be used for other types of photography aside from landscapes?

Thanks

One of the most useful and relevant is a polarizer. The only filters I use are a PL and neutral density (full frame, not split or grad). Pretty much everything else can be done in software. I don't use UV or skylight filters to protect the lens and would not recommend it. Note the filter applies to the lens; the camera is irrelevant.

Such a generic question leads me to believe you've never had an instance of, "Gee, I wish I has such-n-such filter right now!"

....... Note the filter applies to desired result, not the equipment used......

FIFY

One of the most useful and relevant is a polarizer. The only filters I use are a PL and neutral density (full frame, not split or grad). Pretty much everything else can be done in software. I don't use UV or skylight filters to protect the lens and would not recommend it. Note the filter applies to the lens; the camera is irrelevant.
Thank you hirejn I really appreciate it. I do realize it's for the lens I should have worded it correctly.

Such a generic question leads me to believe you've never had an instance of, "Gee, I wish I has such-n-such filter right now!" FIFY

You are right I have never used a filter and yes I do know it's for a lens ;)

A polarizing filter is maybe the most useful, but it can make the sky look unnatural at wide focal lengths.

Neutral density filters are nice. I don't use mine a lot but I like it.

I would suggest buying a Hoya circular polarizer. Make cure you buy a "circular" polarizer, and not the old-style "linear" type.

A polarizing filter is maybe the most useful, but it can make the sky look unnatural at wide focal lengths. Neutral density filters are nice. I don't use mine a lot but I like it.

Thank you Steve for your help.

I would suggest buying a Hoya circular polarizer. Make cure you buy a "circular" polarizer, and not the old-style "linear" type.

Thank you Derrel for your advice and suggestion.

Most reactions

Back