What filters are a necessity?

LittleMiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've done a search on filters here and have gotten a few different answers.

I know I need to get a circular polarizer filter for shooting outdoors to get the pretty sky and minimize reflections but, what other filters are great to have? I have a D90 with the 18-55mm lens and waiting on the 50mm 1.4 lens.

Do a search on here and read up on UV filters. Some people keep a UV filter on at all times for protection. Others never use one; it's two different camps. Do the search, read through some threads, and decide which camp you want to join.

CPL should be all you need for a while. You might eventually want ND filters, star filters, etc.

Yes, Hoya's are decent. Not great, but far from the worst. That's also their "Standard," which is the minimum I'd personally get from them (they have a lower "G-series").

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/192033-hoya-circular-polarizer-filters.html

Of note, you could get the same filter from an actual retailer for the same price, and not have to deal with eBay (even if it is a good seller).

B52CRPLGB Hoya 52mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter (I would assume that B&H also has it for the same price or at least close)

I would say CPL is the only one that's an absolute necessity - but there are a few others that are really fun and good to have.

I recommend B+W with MRC ... they are roughly double the cost of the one you linked to...

ND lets you get slower shutter speeds in the day time for cool effects with flowing water or moving clouds - things like that.

IR is fun too, but some cameras just aren't very good at it (they all have an IR blocking filter over the sensor - some block more than others).

Star filters are fun, but have limited applications...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Necessity? I don't think a CPL is a necessity. Sure it would make my life easier and make processing easier, but I've taken some pretty good landscapes (with and without water) without a CPL filter. It's a good filter to have I'm sure, but necessity is a pretty strong word. Unless you shoot through glass, shoot through water or really need to cut reflections in items, a CPL is not a necessity in my opinion....none of those are really needed in a typical landscape photo.

And before people start arguing with my opinion, a CPL can work and be nice, but I have plenty of photos with landscapes where the sky is gorgeous blue without the need of a CPL.

Well, if you're going to put it like that - of course it's not a 'necessity'. No filter is.
Just like no additional lenses are necessary if you already have a kit lens.

I would say CPL is the only one that's an absolute necessity - but there are a few others that are really fun and good to have.

I recommend B+W with MRC ... they are roughly double the cost of the one you linked to...

ND lets you get slower shutter speeds in the day time for cool effects with flowing water or moving clouds - things like that.

IR is fun too, but some cameras just aren't very good at it (they all have an IR blocking filter over the sensor - some block more than others).

Star filters are fun, but have limited applications...

The infrared filters do take some neat images, I just googled some, lol.

For the B&W with the MRC and Neutral Density filters - what brand would you recommend? I know nothing about the sizes either, lol.

B+W is the brand. ;)

Sizes - look at the inside of your lens cap, it should say there.

Usually you'll want to buy them in the largest size you need and get step-up rings to use them on your other lenses. That way you only have to buy one copy of each filter you need.

I know nothing about the sizes either, lol.
It's on the end of your lens. The Nikkor 18-55mm is a 52mm filter size.

EDIT:
The 50mm f/1.4 is also a 52mm filter size. Just an add on to what Josh was saying about step-up rings... 1) You don't need one until you have different filter sizes 2) You'll want to remember that the ring size will be from lens-to-filter.

Last edited:
Thanks :) I haven't gotten the camera yet - it's still in the mail so I haven't gotten to really examine it yet.

And B+W it is, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back