What Filters do you have

nazster14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon d90 with 18-200 mm lens and 50mm lens. I was thinking about buying some filters but have no idea. So I was wondering what filters do you guys and girls have? Which should i buy. Need suggestions...

with digital the need for a wide variety of filters is no long critical.

you might think of polarizer filter then ND filters. I am not a fan of UV filters as digital senors have them built in, and they tend to degrade the image, just my 2cents.

I agree with ann on some of her points. I think that polarizers and GRADUATED ND filters are a must. If you need more effects than that do it in post-production or by manipulating your white balance in camera.

HOWEVER, I am a BIG FAN of the UV filter on the front of your lenses for protective purposes. For those of you who think that this "softens" your image, I personally feel that almost ALL digital images need some sort of sharpening due to the low-pass filter softening the image anyway. So, if you have to add sharpening ANYWAY why not protect your lens in the process.

I agree with ann on some of her points. I think that polarizers and GRADUATED ND filters are a must. If you need more effects than that do it in post-production or by manipulating your white balance in camera.

Circular Polarizer is a must, and BOTH graduated and standard ND filters are handy, and each have their specific purpose.

HOWEVER, I am a BIG FAN of the UV filter on the front of your lenses for protective purposes. For those of you who think that this "softens" your image, I personally feel that almost ALL digital images need some sort of sharpening due to the low-pass filter softening the image anyway. So, if you have to add sharpening ANYWAY why not protect your lens in the process.

I like having a UV on the lens for protection as well, but take it off whenever I feel comfortable doing so. I would prefer the best image possible in camera, and do as little PP as possible.

I just got a Quantaray Circular Polarizer filter but I'm not too sure about it. The thing was $40 so I figured it was decent. Anyone have opinions on that brand that might also help the OP?

I just got a Quantaray Circular Polarizer filter but I'm not too sure about it. The thing was $40 so I figured it was decent. Anyone have opinions on that brand that might also help the OP?

I believe that "Quantaray" is merely a marketing name for "Ritz Camera" usually the products are made by another company and sold under that name for that specific company (Filters might be made by Hoya - not the HIGH grade stuff, but not a "bad" filter totally).

I believe that "Quantaray" is merely a marketing name for "Ritz Camera" usually the products are made by another company and sold under that name for that specific company (Filters might be made by Hoya - not the HIGH grade stuff, but not a "bad" filter totally).
That's where I got it too :lol:. I just noticed that it doesn't completely eliminate the reflections in glass or water... I'd like to try another brand to compare. Good luck OP. With filters, you truly do get what you pay for. I was going to buy some from Ebay cause you could get them for $10 but you'd pay for it in the end...

I just noticed that it doesn't completely eliminate the reflections in glass or water... I'd like to try another brand to compare.

I'm sure you know this; but, circular polarizers work best if the sun is at about a 90˚ to your subject ... also, I wouldn't expect a $40 CPL to eliminate all glare; but, it should do a decent enough job for day-to-day activities.

I have a few UV for protection too. I plan to get a Circular Polarizer in the near future. Just need to pick the one I want.

Currently, the only filters I own are (all B+W):

CPL
6 pt. star

(Those last two are IR filters.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back