What flash and wireless trigger to use

Diddy2theJJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just bought a Canon 7D along with a 580EX II. I have a small studio in my basement that I shoot in, and I also have started to do some engagement photos and have booked a wedding for later this year.

I'm wondering what I should get for strobes/flash. Mainly I'm curious about what to use for the wedding formals. I see people using strobes and umbrellas most commonly and that seems to work well. I have one Elinchrom D-Lite 4 which I use in my studio. So I'm wondering if I should get another one of those or if I should buy another 580EX II and use those with umbrellas.

I've read really great reviews on the pocket wizard TTL wireless triggers, but with the 7D's wireless flash capabilities I don't know if it makes sense to spend that much on those triggers. I could probably buy a cheaper set and just use them to fire my strobe, and use the wireless function on my camera to fire the Speedlight if I needed it off camera.

I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks,

Diddy

The 7D can use it's built-in flash to control the 580EX as a wireless slave. (it's the only Canon model to do that).
You would have full E-TTL metering for the remote flash, just like it was on camera.

The problem is that this type of communication doesn't work as well when you're outdoors. You would probably need a clean line of site and strong sunlight would hinder the camera/flash communication. This is why many people go with a radio trigger system. This usually means a simple triggering device that just tells the flash when to fire. It's reliable but you don't have E-TTL metering or some of the other options that you would with the Canon wireless system.
Recently, there are devices that use radio signals but can communicate the information for E-TTL metering. The new TL pocket wizards, for example.

As for your studio lights vs your flash units. They would both work, it's just a matter of where & how you will power & use them. The Speedlites are great because they run off AA batteries, which means you can use them anywhere. You can use the studio light 'in the field' but you'd need a portable power source/battery.

Most reactions

Back