What format do you shoot?

Jamie R

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

As an initiation post, I thought I'd try to find out more about the forum users here.

As a sheet film for the past 2 years I still love composing in the square format on large format. I've had an old monorail which I continue to cherish and use, although it's not the most practical camera in the world I continue to use it as much as I can.

Why large format? It requires at least 10 minutes to set up properly, and concentration to attend to an image; weighs at least 15kg to carry around with its gear; is expensive for film and processing and printing. That's fine, as I use it for landscape work which I dearly love, even if I shoot less images. It has its upsides: I've found that it's a great ice-breaker with strangers who are fascinated by the use of the darkcloth; it doesn't intimidate other people as much as a modern SLR. It's also not the kind of camera that anyone would want to steal, since it would slow down any would-be robber. I love the pace of shooting on a monorail: a bit like brushing teeth in the morning, or putting a jacket on before leaving home and going outside. It takes longer, and has more consideration involved. It doesn't feel 'right' without it. Best reason of all - the depth of the tonal scale.

How about you then? Which format do you use?

I use 35mm because ummm... it's good, you can manipulate it for grain, it's light to carry, you can get candids, it's simple to operate and it's the cheapest kind to shoot. But I'll be moving up to 120mm as soon as I get my new Yashica C fixed.

35mm for almost all my photos. Sometimes I use a 5meg digital.

I am facinated by the possibilities of Large Format equipment. Especially the abilites to use shifts and swings to control DOF and convergences. Just don't have the funds to invest in a whole other system (camera, lenses, etc.)

If I had money to burn I would very much consider a 8x10 camera system.

For most of my personal work I use medium format or 4x5. Recently I purchased a Nikon FM2n that when combined with Tri-X at 1250 developed in Diafine has rekindled my interest in 35mm film. I prefer BW, and I prefer larger negs, even if I'm only printing at 8"x10".

I shoot 35mm.But I am very interested in moving to medium format, 120mm or 6x6.Have to find an affordable camera first, lol.

i shoot digital and 6x4.5 and soon to be 6x6.

god i love medium format

md

Digital (APS sized), 35mm, 6x6cm and 4x5in. Eventually I'm going to sell my Sinar monorail and purchase a Toyo carbon fibre 4x5 field camera. I'll probably get a 6x9 rollfilm back for it as well since it's much more convenient and cheaper than sheet film. I'd also love to get a 6x17 if I was rich. No one format can do it all. I would have every format if I could afford it.

Now you say sheet film.. then you say square format? I've never heard of square format sheet film.

voodoocat said:
Digital (APS sized), 35mm, 6x6cm and 4x5in. Eventually I'm going to sell my Sinar monorail and purchase a Toyo carbon fibre 4x5 field camera. I'll probably get a 6x9 rollfilm back for it as well since it's much more convenient and cheaper than sheet film. I'd also love to get a 6x17 if I was rich. No one format can do it all. I would have every format if I could afford it.

Now you say sheet film.. then you say square format? I've never heard of square format sheet film.

I'd really like to see some of your large format stuff if you have some posted on this site can you please add a link to it?

6 x 4.5
35mm
digital

used to be 6x6 and sheet...

35mm Mostly for conveniance sake.
6 X 4.5

Floyd said:
I'd really like to see some of your large format stuff if you have some posted on this site can you please add a link to it?

If you go to my website and look in the "Kansas Landscape" section, there are photos taken on 4x5 bw film. Click on the "I" at the top of the photo to get more information about the image. Any photo taken with the Anniversary Speed Graphic or the Super Speed Graphic are 4x5 shots. Of course, when they are reduced to 500 pixels across files, they don't really look much different than any other format.

Mostly 35mm, some MF. I recently acquired a Mamiya Super 23 in mint condition for a very low price, with 6x9 and 6x7 film backs.

The only way I use sheet film right now is on 545i holder with a Daylab, although we have an immaculate Polaroid 110A that will take it.

So many things to try, so little time..... :p

Most reactions

Back