What gets you off your ass?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by joshuatdlr, Dec 30, 2016.

1. DriedStrawbery

DriedStrawbery TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Few years back I used to say "there is no way I'll be lugging a huge N heavy camera all around N take pics, it will never be for me!".

I ended up buying DSLR after my kid was born since you are supposed to get good pics with a SLR :). Bought a crop camera. It still dint get me to take too many snaps.

Things changed when I started seeing more N more amazingly sharp pics taken and shared.

In the attempt to get me there, I got reading and learning about the techniques and technology. As time went by, slowly I got drawn into aspects of art in pics.

Now, armed with the technical possiblitties, familiarity with artistic aspects a picture, it becomes a challenge to produce those type of pics myself.

The challenge is what gets me going now. Challenge with subjects, lighting, post processing (not extreme PS editing, only LR based).

I feel, as a newbie, I dint know the potential (tools) that was there to be utilized to be able to take up the challenge everytime I have a camera in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

It maybe sad, but it's true for me.

My depression and anxiety it was drives me to keep shooting because when I'm out shooting and doing my thing, I feel happier and the problems in my life fade away during that period of time.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Nevermore1

Nevermore1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm kinda the same way and that's how my friend was. When he broke his computer and nonlonger had a way to view and edit all the photos he'd taken he went downhill very fast. It helped him mentally to get out and focus on taking photos and not worry about day to day things he had no control over.

Sent from my SM-N915T using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

4. Drive-By-Shooter

Drive-By-Shooter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    not sad at all! anytime you focus (pun unavoidable) intently, it clears and strengthens the mind, like meditation.
    i got started when a friend in college showed me a simple b&w photo he took on a bus in NY. it was art. art i could do, so i got started processing b&w, then color and 2 years later won 4 awards in the university (a huge one) photo show!

others here share some of my other ones: motorcycle track days (on a racetrack), weightlifting, firearms especially hundreds of yards away, amateur radio...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Samuel.z

Samuel.z TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How to get off your ass:

1. Look at your camera.
    2. Look at some great photo.
    3. Look back at your camera.
    4. Look at another photo.
    5. You're already standing.
    6. You did it! Now go get them!

That is pretty much my everyday process.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Being offered money, or the potential to created something really good.

7. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Love.

I love what I do. I love that I make money doing what I love. I love to know that my work will be as part of someone's history long after I'm gone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nature_Photo_Mastery

Nature_Photo_Mastery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a great thread!

For me, it comes from a few things...
    • I love the final result of fine art nature images - I'm a very "visual" person, and so looking at awesome images feels...awesome (including my images and other people's images)
    • I get excited about a particular subject, or a type of image, or some concept, and then it motivates me to work at capturing it. I just get this energy from the excitement.
    • I like being creative, coming up with set ups, field craft techniques, DIY gear, etc, and it makes it more fun to go out and do these things
    • Sometimes I enjoy being out in nature and experiencing the wildlife, scenery, peacefulness, discovery, whatever (but it's not my primary goal - my main goal is creating the image I want)
    • To a lesser extent (and it's really a "bonus" as opposed to a goal), I like getting positive comments and likes from other people on my work. Many people won't admit that they like positive comments, because others sometimes put a negative label on having that desire ("egotistical"). But I'm not afraid to admit it - yes, I feel good when people like my work. But I'm not delusional or arrogant about it, nor do I thrive off of comments. I am well aware that I can always be improving and learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Samuel.z

Samuel.z TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are we the same person? I could not have said it better myself.

I might just go outside now. This was inspiration enough for me to get up to shoot. I'm a simple man

10. ZombiesniperJr

ZombiesniperJr Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Having nice birding spots near me

11. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Coffee gets me off my ass. Beautiful people and beautiful clothing inspire me to take photos of them. Being good at something also encourages me to keep doing it and to keep getting better at it.