What happened?

Threads use up bandwith, A lot of forums use an auto pruning system to delete old non used threads as they are unnecessary. TPF is one of the few sites I am aware of that does not do this, I assume due to their policy on thread bumping.

Threads don't use any bandwidth unless they're accessed. And the only part using bandwidth is the bit viewed. So opening page 45532 of a thread will use the same as page two in a three page thread. What large threads can do is use a lot of space and slow down the servers. Large database entries could (in the past and I don't know if it's any different now) damage MYSQL databases making them unstable.That's why forums get pruned.

I have no idea what post count I was on. Doesn't look like I've lost a lot if any. And frankly I don't care. :mrgreen:

Threads don't use any bandwidth unless they're accessed. And the only part using bandwidth is the bit viewed. So opening page 45532 of a thread will use the same as page two in a three page thread. What large threads can do is use a lot of space and slow down the servers. Large database entries could (in the past and I don't know if it's any different now) damage MYSQL databases making them unstable.That's why forums get pruned.

I have no idea what post count I was on. Doesn't look like I've lost a lot if any. And frankly I don't care. :mrgreen:

...I was just repeting what I was given for an explination....I guess it was a explination he figured I would understand and not question....He was right, I didn't question it. :neutral:

I do have to assume that bandwith use during viewing also applies when bots and what not are active in a thread, correct?

Unfortunately, several people's posts got sacrificed during the process of another cleanup we were doing.

It wasn't intentional, but we don't really view it as being a major issue, either.

Most reactions

Back