What happens if I use colour negatives?

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by ahelg, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

I was just wondering what would happen if I put a colour negative in an enlarger and print it onto black and white paper. Would I get an ok black and white print or would it come out bad.

2. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It would be fine however you need to use higher contrast because of the color base. It usually takes a longer exposure time as well.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've found that the grain seems a lot more pronounced in BW than color. When I shot weddings with film I'd occasionally get a client that wanted a color shot printed BW. It can be done if you have to, but the results aren't always as nice as just starting with BW film.

4. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

Well that's good to know. I have some shoots back home in Norway which I took in Spain which I wanted to try in B&W.

5. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To help with the grain you need to stop down your enlarger lens. You should get a nice print if you use some nice paper. It never failed every wedding I shot the bride wanted a color and b&w print of the same image. Your developer can help with the grain and contrast issue as well. Unfortunately you really have to experiment, it depends on the color film, the b&w paper and the developer you are using. You have to find the right combination.

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    If I may put in my two-pennies worth. To hold the tones correctly, you need to use Kodak's "Panalure" paper, but it's a bit fiddly using it, as you have to develop in complete darkness and use the time/temperature method. It's a panchromatic film rather than normal B&W paper being orthochromatic. With respect, "ladyphotog" how can stopping the lens down have any effect on the grain ? Philip.
    www.philipweirphotography.com

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I agree.... but, I understand that Kodak ceased production of all their black and white papers. Is there an Ilford equivalent? Seems I used a safe-light with Panalure... was it a Kodak no. 10? It's a rather dense filter... very dark.

I too wondered about the "stopping down" effort to reduce grain. Can you tell us some more about your thoughts on this?

Pete

8. queen_of_scum

queen_of_scum TPF Noob!

Here are some prints I've made from colour negs on ordinary multi-grade b/w paper :)

[​IMG]

9. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are using multi-grade contrast paper variations in the subject color can affect contrast too, making some color negs easier to print than others.

When I said the grain seemed more pronounced, I didn't mean there actually was more or larger grain. I just found the grain less noticable in a color print than in the BW prints.

10. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    You are exactly right, that's why I always hated doing prints from colour negs onto b&w paper.:lmao:

11. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Me too. I disliked doing it, and the results disappointed me so much (although the clients were happy with them) I finally began telling clients that it wasn't possible for me to make BW gelatin silver prints from color negs. If they wanted color and BW we were just going to have to schedule enough time to take some of each.

12. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, usually when you are printing color negs on b&w paper you have a long exposure time. Therefore, most will open up the lens to reduce that time. The appearance of grain is more pronounced with the lens wide open than at F-8, which is usually where the lens is at it's optimum. But it is worth it in the final print to stop down, preferably to F-8 and expose for whatever time is needed rather than open up and have a shorter exposure time.