what happens with Pentax K1000?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by panocho, Jun 12, 2007.

1. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure this is the right place to post this -and please note this is not any kind of complain! it's perfectly allright with me!

The question is, what does the Pentax K1000 have that it constantly appears mentioned as the first SLR to start learning, the best manual SLR, etc? Sure it's a great camera, won't put it into question (although personally I never tried one), but why it's so insistently claimed as the one to go? why it seems to be TPF's favorite?

It's just a mistery to me. In my view, many other cameras (same kind of cameras but from different brands) should be expected to be suggested when new users ask for suggestions, but the K1000 beats them all! constantly! Why not a Nikon FM, a Minolta X-series... why always the same Pentax K1000???

2. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It has nothing. ItÂ’s fully manual so it requires the use to think about everything. And people have been recommending it for years.

3. dinodan

dinodan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good question. It seems to me that back in the day (1980s), it was less expensive than the other cameras you mention, and so was a favorite of beginners, students, etc. Of course, today they're all only available used, so the price difference is practically non-existant. It seems that the "cachet" has stayed with the camera, however.

Even as a Nikon guy, I can even remember recommending the K1000 to people who asked me about a good "starter" SLR back in those long-ago days. Nikon had the FG, which must have been price competitive, but the purists decried the fact that it had LEDs (and a Program mode) rather than simple match needles.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I started out on a Nikon FE if that makes you feel better?

:hug::

5. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I don't feel bad at all!

By the way, even though with Nikon for years, I started with a Minolta X-300, and was very happy with it.

dinodan, your reply makes sense, but still I keep wondering...

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another good one is a Canon AE-1. It uses Canon FD lenses, which are dirt cheap because they are not compatible with Canon auto focus cameras.

Personally, I started on an EOS 650, the first Canon AF SLR.

7. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    mine was an olympus om-10, but now i've got my Zenit. I think part of the k1000's status had to do with the fact that Pentax put the kmount in the public domain early on and teachers saw that students had an opportunity to try a variety of focal lengths that were cheaper than Pentax's.

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Inexpensive, reliable, simple, needle TTL meter, sturdy, a very long production history. It is one of the few cameras in which its featureless design became a feature in of itself. I bet many colleges provided them to students.

So what was the "student" camera prior to the K1000... Spotmatic?

My first was a Minolta 7000 but I collect and shoot with old Pentax SLRs.

9. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Minolta SRT 101 for me. (I just got it back after 25 years!) I think it's because so many started out on them and feel that 'if they were good enough for me they will be good enough for you'. Pentax had a rep back in the day- if they weren't Nikons they were close. I personally think a Nikon N8008s or a N90s (F100 if you can swing it) is the way to go because you can get manual with it and still learn everything else that you will need when you go digital and you can use the lenses on the D when you get it.

Try telling somebody that though ;). Really, if you want to be a purist get a 4X5!! 8X10 would do nicely too!

mike

10. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The K1000 was darn near indestructible... and versatile... for example, if you were a carpenter, you could use it as both a hammer and a crow bar during the week, and take pictures with it on the weekend.

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also doubles as a nut cracker, beer bottle opener, meat tenderizer. And still works well as a picture taker. They are indestructible!

12. Stretch Armstrong

Stretch Armstrong TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Man, you just took me down memory lane. My first camera was a K1000. Then I stepped up to the Nikon FG. I loved both.

The K1000, looking back, reminds me of the practicality of the VW bug which was also my first car. It was very basic with no distractions from the real job at hand.

I still have both the K1000 and the Nikon FG. Both still work great. I don't have my first VW although I wised I did.

:thumbup: