What have I become?!

Mishele and pgriz have summed it up nicely.

I'd like to add the best photography lesson I've ever learned, and it was the sig line of someone who used to post on this forum: "My camera, my vision, my rules". That little sentence without a verb changed the way I see photography completely. So... develop your vision by shooting all sorts of stuff and finding what you enjoy shooting the most (like Mishele said), then you'll be able to play by your own rules. Your photos are (or will be) your art, regardless of what others may think about them. Perfect conditions? LOL.

Waiting for the perfect conditions is like waiting for your winning lottery ticket to come up... Nuthin' happening for a long, long time...

A photography guru told us (I'm part of a club), that you go and take advantage of whatever conditions you have. So, it's blindingly bright out - so shoot the strong shadows! It's dull and grey - hey! Monochomatic time! Too windy - then shoot the wind blowing things around! It's raining - then shoot the water, the reflections, the puddles! It's too hot out - then shoot the mall people! It's too cold - perfect time to admire Jack Frost's handiwork on the nearest single-pane window!

Another tip he gave us was... when you're stuck (as in a rut), take an object, thow it up, and then photograph ten things around wherever it falls (within 3 ft.). Pretend that the object was a spaceship from Omega prime, and you are to record everything around you - what would you see?

Still another idea... deliberately shoot your subject out of focus - how do you make it interesting? Can you create a link between the subject and its surroundings, and make it plausible (ie, subject being out of focus is that way for a reason)?

And finally, waiting for the perfect image or perfect conditions is like waiting for Mr. or Ms. Right. Those of us who have been married happily and for a long time know that we are not perfect, nor is our partner, but together... boy do we make beautiful music!

These are great ideas I would like to try. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Waiting for the perfect conditions is like waiting for your winning lottery ticket to come up... Nuthin' happening for a long, long time...

A photography guru told us (I'm part of a club), that you go and take advantage of whatever conditions you have. So, it's blindingly bright out - so shoot the strong shadows! It's dull and grey - hey! Monochomatic time! Too windy - then shoot the wind blowing things around! It's raining - then shoot the water, the reflections, the puddles! It's too hot out - then shoot the mall people! It's too cold - perfect time to admire Jack Frost's handiwork on the nearest single-pane window!

Another tip he gave us was... when you're stuck (as in a rut), take an object, thow it up, and then photograph ten things around wherever it falls (within 3 ft.). Pretend that the object was a spaceship from Omega prime, and you are to record everything around you - what would you see?

Still another idea... deliberately shoot your subject out of focus - how do you make it interesting? Can you create a link between the subject and its surroundings, and make it plausible (ie, subject being out of focus is that way for a reason)?

And finally, waiting for the perfect image or perfect conditions is like waiting for Mr. or Ms. Right. Those of us who have been married happily and for a long time know that we are not perfect, nor is our partner, but together... boy do we make beautiful music!

This reminds me, at some point a few months ago someone (on the forum) locked themselves in their bathroom for like 30 mins (don't remember the exact amount of time) just taking pictures. It was something they had heard from someone about getting inspiration.

That's what I did on my balcony the other day when I photographed Toola Roola. No kids. aahhhh! ;)

I just take pictures. They aren't all perfect but I'm always getting better and that's good enough for me.

I went out for a walk a few days after this post and just took some shots. I used my 50mm 1.4 (to get familiar and not over analyze) since I haven't used it much yet. Ended up shooting some objects that wouldn't typically be foremost in my mind to shoot. I think it took my mind off thinking about the perfect picture.

Here are a few of the shots for whatever they are worth.

walk3.jpg

walk2.jpg

walk1.jpg

Most reactions

Back