what inspires you?

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright don't bash because I'm not posting a picture :\, but I wanna know what inspires you guys to take these dark photographs? I'm really interested and am amazed at the workmanship in these photographs and i am really eager to do a few but don't want them to be to over the top or too "suicide" like.

I haven't done any pics yet, but I don't think that there isn't anything over the top or too "suicide" like, unless you are not using photo shop, or editing software.lol.

Too suicide like? Oh, you mean like my thread not too far down?

Do you really wanna know what inspires me? Well, you must, you did ask. So I'll tell you.

My girlfriend died a few weeks ago, and I'm taking it very hard. I bottle all of my emotions up, and the emotions come out in the form of photographs, or words, often featuring anger, sadness, and loneliness. Am I actually considering suicide? No. Have I considered it in the past few weeks? Yes, absolutely. Would I ever do it? I don't believe I would. Is her death my main motivation for dark photographs? Let me put it this way, I used to be dark before I met her, and then she changed my life, and was the driving force behind me becoming a happy person. And now she's gone, and she's no longer here with me, to support me, and to make me smile, so yes, her death is by far the biggest reason I've drifted back into my old style. The difference is, I know how to use a camera now.

There are some photographs that can only be taken by those troubled, or those that truly understand pain. I'd rather take pictures of flowers, and puppies, and smiling faces, but those subjects don't matter to me anymore, unless there is a smiling doll somewhere with its head cut off with bleeding daisies surrounding the decapitated body and a puppy pissing on the face whilst the sun sets.

Not everyone on here is messed up in the head, in fact, quite the contrary. But I am.

well i've seen a few remarks from people about "suicidal" but you are right i guess there isnt "over the top" it is art. trenton thank you for giving a back story to what really does motivate you. I'm so sorry for your loss but you have a way to work with it (through your art).

also i actually very much liked that photograph.

i hope i'm not insulting anyone, i did not mean to say i thought anyone was messed up, i am actually planning a shot and i know exactly how i want it to look, hopefully i can get the finished product to be good.

well i've seen a few remarks from people about "suicidal" but you are right i guess there isnt "over the top" it is art. trenton thank you for giving a back story to what really does motivate you. I'm so sorry for your loss but you have a way to work with it (through your art).

also i actually very much liked that photograph.

i hope i'm not insulting anyone, i did not mean to say i thought anyone was messed up, i am actually planning a shot and i know exactly how i want it to look, hopefully i can get the finished product to be good.

Yeah, I don't mind talking about my story online, face to face it's a far different story. But, hey, that's why I have a camera.

I certainly wasn't insulted, and I think the frequent visitor folks on the Dark Side gallery won't be insulted either. I mean, I can only speak for myself when I say I'm messed up. But, to be honest, back in the day, I was scared of Chiller (sorry, bud, your Santa avatar was scarring :p) But now that I've spent a fair bit of time around the site, the people here are genuinely nice, down to earth people, with a few exceptions. And just because some people might see Chiller's work (hope he doesn't mind being my example) and think that he's a bit out there or off-the-rails, doesn't mean that he is. We all have dark thoughts, it's just some of us have the bravery and courage to show people and the artistic talent (not so much me, but I'm working on it) to accurately reflect the emotions that we all feel at one time or another. If someone can live a life without being angry or sad, there is something they've been missing out on. Until you've lost it all, you can't really realize what you had. And when you lose it all, a lot of things go through your head, and a lot of options run through your mind, and a lot of feelings rush through your heart, and if you're able to reflect those times in some way, through photographs, or drawings, or poems, or stories, and then share them with people (like here on the Dark Side gallery), then you should be praised more than feared, you should be applauded for sharing raw truth and not scolded for being 'sick' or 'messed up' or 'tasteless'. Everyone has different ways of handling life, and everyone has different thoughts and feelings about every situation they encounter, and some people maybe just like pushing the envelope. We're all here for different reasons.

Mike...thanks for the thread, and there is no harm in not posting a photo. :) We can have discussions here too, cause there is no other place to chat about it.
Many moons ago, before the darkside gallery, we all used to post in the general gallery...yeah, we have lost some darksiders over the years, but there were a few threads from members asking why there were so many cemetery shots, and things. We asked for a darkside gallery for people who want to create images that might be a little...out there.
Now if you look at the views the darkside gallery gets, it has surpassed many of the other galleries, and is closing in on Photojournalism.
I used to have a signature on here..."Everyone has a darkside." It seems true in many cases....like here. Some of the threads have hundreds of views, but only a few comments. I think with this type of photography we are capturing what scares others. Everyone likes a little chill at one time or another. Why do we ride roller coasters. :lol::lol:cause it freaks us out...and there is a rush.

Im sure there is a line that people may cross, and some images may offend one person, but not another. The warning at the top of the page , lets everyone know before they come in here. And one reason many of us put a warning in our thread subjects. If a person still seems to be offended, maybe they should not look in this gallery.

As for what inspires me....

I have always loved horror, halloween, and things that others might feel a little wierd. You can ask any of the members on here who have met me, and you find , sure Im a little dark, but I would jump in front of a bullet for any one of them.
I figured since I took up photography as a hobby, it was a way to let my imagination go. See if I can create the images my mind creates.
I find cemeteries a fascinating place. How we fight all our lives to survive, look for a home, work all day,have a family, only to find our final home in the ground away from everything we have worked for. I would never disrespect a gravesite, and even put my camera away, if there are people mourning there.
I like to show what others are afraid of. Ya know..the back allies of life. Sure, I love to take nature, and street shots, even throw in some zoo photos, but my passion is halloween and horror. My imagination is way out there, and I just see things different.

Beside...look at Stephen King, Clive Barker, Wes Craven...they are millionares, cause of their love for horror. :wink: We all have to start someplace I guess.

Im always willing to help others if they have any questions. If I dont have the answer, I can ask my other non photographer darksiders for their help.

Thanks again Mike for a thread for us to speak on this.

...and even put my camera away, if there are people mourning there.

if i could take that picture without being seen, i most certainly would. it's very beautiful in a very depressing way.

if i could take that picture without being seen, i most certainly would. it's very beautiful in a very depressing way.

I would from if I was a safe distance, and have a few times. When I do hide the camera is if I just sort of stumble across someone. One cemetery I go to , the stones are pretty high, and ya cant see whats around the bend.
One day I might post the images I have. :)

I would from if I was a safe distance, and have a few times. When I do hide the camera is if I just sort of stumble across someone. One cemetery I go to , the stones are pretty high, and ya cant see whats around the bend.
One day I might post the images I have. :)
please post them!!!!!!!!!!!

I will dig em up... no pun intended. :lol:

alright don't bash because I'm not posting a picture :\, but I wanna know what inspires you guys to take these dark photographs? I'm really interested and am amazed at the workmanship in these photographs and i am really eager to do a few but don't want them to be to over the top or too "suicide" like.

This is a world of both light and dark, I just try to capture both.

thanks for all the replies, especailly yours chiller, i love your photographs, they are inspiring (although i think your brother was in my dream the other night haha). I have an idea for one that i might try today.

i totally agree that everyone has a "light" and a dark side

thanks for all the replies, especailly yours chiller, i love your photographs, they are inspiring (although i think your brother was in my dream the other night haha). I have an idea for one that i might try today.

i totally agree that everyone has a "light" and a dark side

Thanks Mike...dont be afraid of my brother. He is still chained up in the basement.

If ya ever have any questions, please write me. We are all here to help each other improve on our visions. .:D

thanks chiller :) ill be sure to ask questions, just took my first shot and working on the edit :) hehe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back