What is a Must Have Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chrisburke, May 27, 2007.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey All, I'm sure I will drive you all nuts with the questions. I'm just new to this, and I love photography, but am really just starting.

I have a D40, what would you all say is a lens that I MUST HAVE, right now I have the 18-55 that came with it, and a fisheye that is on the way from ebay.

Chris

2. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Two big questions...

1) What do you like to shoot?

2) What kind of budget are you working with?

~jen

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Budget wise, I play in a band, and I make good money doing it, so basically when i see something I want, i just say "oh that will take me 8 gigs to buy" i.e. my camera took me 8 gigs to buy!

As for what I like to shoot. skateboarding, concerts, I also shoot pictures of teens... I'm a youth pastor by trade, and do a lot of stuff with teens,playing games, fun events stuff like that... kind of a mix match of stuff I guess.

My wife who seldom uses the camera likes to shoot nature, flowers, landscapes, stuff like that.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 18-55 should be fine for pretty much all that. If you're running into limitations with the 18-55, than look into other glass. Learn what what you've got does first before buying something else.

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a half dozen lenses (actually 7) and the one I like the best is a 50 mm prime Nikkor. It is incredibly sharp, fast and the 1.8 is the best lens/$ you'll ever get. I use it for theater photography - similar to band photography - along with a fast 100 mm lens.

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A dead sharp 10mm-1000mm at f/1.0 Unfortunately it doesn't exist.

For concerts you will want low aperture because of low light, for skateboarding also low aperture because you want to blur the background.

So other than the zoom lens already mentioned, get a 50 or 80mm fixed focal at f/1.8 or f/1.4

7. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think there is not really a "must have" lens it all depends on your personal style of shooting. The only thing you want to look for when buying a lens is to get the fastest lens you can afford.

8. RedDevilUK

RedDevilUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree, you need to use your lens for a while and if you feel the limitation of 55mm.... maybe your concert shots are too dark, then you will need a f1.8 lens, if your not getting as close as you would like then buy a higher magnification lens 135mm, 200mm or 300mm

its different for everyone.

i recently purchased a 300mm lens for nature shots, because i wasnt getting close enough with my 70mm. I would see a bird in a tree and have to walk so close to get the shot i wanted... it would be scared away :(
    so the addition of the new lens will help me get some good shots hopefully :)

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks everyone, this helps lots! Would you all suggest a len's hood?

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

You should always use a lens hood. Most importantly if you do use a hood use the one that is made for your lens especially with your 18-55 wide-angle lenses get vignetting if you use the wrong hood.

11. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know what you Must have, but I'll wager that not to long from now you are going to want an 85mm f1.4 and then after that a 70-200mm f2.8 VR. ;)

mike

12. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As said there isn't really a "must have" lens, it all varies. However the 50mm f/1.8 is owned by a very very large percentage of photographers. It will work for the band and skating. When I shoot skating I sometimes want something more in the 100mm rance (my 70-200f/4) or something wider, which you have.