What is a Must Have Lens

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All, I'm sure I will drive you all nuts with the questions. I'm just new to this, and I love photography, but am really just starting.

I have a D40, what would you all say is a lens that I MUST HAVE, right now I have the 18-55 that came with it, and a fisheye that is on the way from ebay.

Chris

Two big questions...

1) What do you like to shoot?

2) What kind of budget are you working with?

~jen

Two big questions...

1) What do you like to shoot?

2) What kind of budget are you working with?

~jen

Budget wise, I play in a band, and I make good money doing it, so basically when i see something I want, i just say "oh that will take me 8 gigs to buy" i.e. my camera took me 8 gigs to buy!

As for what I like to shoot. skateboarding, concerts, I also shoot pictures of teens... I'm a youth pastor by trade, and do a lot of stuff with teens,playing games, fun events stuff like that... kind of a mix match of stuff I guess.

My wife who seldom uses the camera likes to shoot nature, flowers, landscapes, stuff like that.

The 18-55 should be fine for pretty much all that. If you're running into limitations with the 18-55, than look into other glass. Learn what what you've got does first before buying something else.

I have a half dozen lenses (actually 7) and the one I like the best is a 50 mm prime Nikkor. It is incredibly sharp, fast and the 1.8 is the best lens/$ you'll ever get. I use it for theater photography - similar to band photography - along with a fast 100 mm lens.

A dead sharp 10mm-1000mm at f/1.0 Unfortunately it doesn't exist.

For concerts you will want low aperture because of low light, for skateboarding also low aperture because you want to blur the background.

So other than the zoom lens already mentioned, get a 50 or 80mm fixed focal at f/1.8 or f/1.4

I think there is not really a "must have" lens it all depends on your personal style of shooting. The only thing you want to look for when buying a lens is to get the fastest lens you can afford.

I think there is not really a "must have" lens it all depends on your personal style of shooting.

i agree, you need to use your lens for a while and if you feel the limitation of 55mm.... maybe your concert shots are too dark, then you will need a f1.8 lens, if your not getting as close as you would like then buy a higher magnification lens 135mm, 200mm or 300mm

its different for everyone.

i recently purchased a 300mm lens for nature shots, because i wasnt getting close enough with my 70mm. I would see a bird in a tree and have to walk so close to get the shot i wanted... it would be scared away :(
so the addition of the new lens will help me get some good shots hopefully :)

You should always use a lens hood. Most importantly if you do use a hood use the one that is made for your lens especially with your 18-55 wide-angle lenses get vignetting if you use the wrong hood.

As said there isn't really a "must have" lens, it all varies. However the 50mm f/1.8 is owned by a very very large percentage of photographers. It will work for the band and skating. When I shoot skating I sometimes want something more in the 100mm rance (my 70-200f/4) or something wider, which you have.

I don't know what you Must have, but I'll wager that not to long from now you are going to want an 85mm f1.4 and then after that a 70-200mm f2.8 VR. ;)

mike
I have both of those lenses and personally I wish I had never bought the 85 it just seems redundant to me. I know the 85 is a 1.8 but it still seems redundant luckily I got the 85 new for less than $300.

Most reactions

Back