What is a teleconverter?

sj022698

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a camera and I received a teleconvertor. Will this all all help me with macro? I have an 18-55mm, canon 55-200mm and a tamron 70-300mm

I read what it exactly means but it doesn't make much sense to me. Does it just allow to get closer like a telephoto lens? If it's not helpful for macro, I doubt I'll keep it but wanted to see.

Thanks!

It's an extender it will increase your lens output zoom a smidge 1.4x to 2x extra zoom

"
A 1.4x converter will give you an extra 40% (extending the 200mm maximum to 280mm) and a 2x converter will give you a 100% boost (effectively giving me a 140-400mm zoom."

A teleconverter will lengthen the reach of your telephoto lens by 1 and 1/2 to 2 times its stated focal length. This means that a 200mm lens stretches to 300mm or 400mm. The disadvantage is that the aperture gets shut down by 1.5 to 2 fstops.

In practical terms, this means that 55mm to 200mm at 4.5 becomes for example a 110mm to 400mm with a 2 times converter but will only shoot at f. 8 wide open. (not 4.5)

So, teleconverters are only useful when you have lots of light as in midday, out on a lake on a sunny day, in Arizona, Africa, prairies etc., and need that extra stretch to shoot that elk on the other side of the river, for example. There is also some quality loss.

So, useful in some situations, but with somewhat severe limitations.

skieur

The other option is close up diopters +1, +2, +3, +4 in a kit. They are like filters that go over your lens and allow you to shoot within inches from an object. They are cheaper than the other options and because of a shallow focus area somewhat difficult to use, but they do work.

skieur

Most reactions

Back