What is a Tilt & Shift objective ?

Sweetamber80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is and how to use an objective Tilt & Shift?
It is recommended for shooting with DSLR?

Last edited:
Tilt and shift lenses are used to correct perspective, primarily for architecture. With a normal lens vertical lines, such as at the top of a tall building, will lean inwards when shooting at an upward angle. A tilt lens can be used to correct for that. Much the same thing can be done with software however it causes some loss of image at the edges.

And it's DSLR not DSRL.

Tilt, Swing and Shift are manipulations to the optical axis of either the lens, image plane or both.

Tilt refers to the lens or back being rotated in the "up/down" direction, Swing, the "left/right" direction and shift refers to movement of in the left/right or up/down direction laterally.

Typically these movements are associated with view camera, however, there are some lenses which have a tilt and or shift mechanism built in, allowing these features to be used on an SLR format. There are also adapters which allow you to use swing/tilt with your choice of medium format lenses. Back movements on the film/sensor plane is not possible on an SLR platform.

Lens shift and back tilt/swing are used primarily for perspective control, while lens tilt and swing are used for depth of field control. It is a common misconception that tilt/shift is used only for perspective control or shallow depth of field effects. However, using camera tilt you can also manipulate the geometry of the DOF to include not only less, but more area. This technique is known as the Scheimpflug principle, for which there is a lot of technical information I don't entirely understand (and you don't need to). On a view camera using this principle with back swing or tilt, you can achieve perspective control without needing to excessively stop down to compensate for back focus.

Here is the effect created by tilt-shift lenses:

Canon 5D Mk II with tilt shift lens: vimeo.com/4791453

Canon 5D Mk II with tilt shift lens: vimeo.com/8161506

This effect can also be created in post:

Panasonic GH2 with Adobe After Effects: vimeo.com/40536121

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Honestly, I think using a $2,000 lens to make things look tiny is kind of ... idiotic.

I've seen some very excellent portraits with tilt shift lenses. Jonas Peterson uses a 45mm TS I believe, and brings a very dreamy perspective to wedding photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back