What is art? Volume 261

After approximately 400 years of making representational art, western artists grew tired of the salon rules, and impressionism was born. The world had changed. Cars, electricity, x-, rays, machine guns, airplanes, the telephone,germ theory, indoor plumbing,and more-- and this professor thinks people would continue to paint scenes of ancient mythology and ancient Christian religious scenes? Wondering if this guy understands anything about the role of art within a society. Idolizing 500 year-old flat Earther ideals in 2017? Idolizing representational painting of religious and mythological paintings designed to support say, a 1688 understanding of Europe as the center of the entire world?
The ancient Greeks has muses associated with the creative activities, like epic and lyric poetry, and history (which is one reason I find Herodotus's "History" so much fun. But they had no muse of painting because it was not considered creative, merely copying. The highest praise for grapes painted on a wall was that rhey fooled the birds and they pecked at it. Talent, of course. Creativity? Another story.

After approximately 400 years of making representational art, western artists grew tired of the salon rules, and impressionism was born. The world had changed. Cars, electricity, x-, rays, machine guns, airplanes, the telephone,germ theory, indoor plumbing,and more-- and this professor thinks people would continue to paint scenes of ancient mythology and ancient Christian religious scenes? Wondering if this guy understands anything about the role of art within a society. Idolizing 500 year-old flat Earther ideals in 2017? Idolizing representational painting of religious and mythological paintings designed to support say, a 1688 understanding of Europe as the center of the entire world?
The ancient Greeks has muses associated with the creative activities, like epic and lyric poetry, and history (which is one reason I find Herodotus's "History" so much fun. But they had no muse of painting because it was not considered creative, merely copying. The highest praise for grapes painted on a wall was that rhey fooled the birds and they pecked at it. Talent, of course. Creativity? Another story.

My favorite muse is Terpsichore -- poor Rita Hayworth.

Joe

My favorite muse is Terpsichore -- poor Rita Hayworth.

Joe
You are showing your age. 1947 was a long time ago.

I thought it was ironic that The Prage video crank opined that the old masters "improved upon the work" of each generation before them. Ummmm, I wonder if he's ever seen the documentary done by (famous artist) David Hockney....you know...the documentary in which he proves the secret method of lens drawing that many old "masters" of painting used, as a way to make their paintings as CLOSE to the way the eye sees. Probably not.

Hockney's documentary is entitled David Hockney's Secret Knowlege, and it is one of ***the*** most-important documentaries about art and artists that has been made in the last 20 years. Hockney explores, and recreates Vermeer, Caravaggio and Van Eyck masterpieces using the camera lucida. "improved upon the previoius generation"....ummm, not so much!

I wonder if the Prager numbskull realized what effect *****photography***** had on representational painting by the beginning of the 1870's....I doubt he's familiar with the idea of paintings that push boundaries, or which make people think. I thought it funny that a guy professing to "teach" about art brought up no really important points as to WHY representational painting was dead by 1940.

For the last 175 years, photography is what "materializes reality, as painting did in the past," as Hockney states.

Watch just the 10:00 to 14:00 segment of Hockney's documentary, to understand how around 1420 A.D., lens drawing hit the world of "painting" like a freight train.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Check out Caravaggio's transition from a concave mirror-lens camera lucida to a LENS-based camera lucida, in about a one year time span. Start at 43:25. "Projections can now be almost any size you want."

"improved upon each generation". Pfffft.

Did that "professor" ever study anything after he graduated college in the 1970's? Has he updated anything in his brain? Or is he STILL ripping on evetry single artist post 1870? it seems so! Does he not understand that the "old masters" were for the most part, lens-drawers?

Not that anybody gives a darn:

Yet again with the figure skater anaology!!! Who stole that strawman from who? Did PJ Watson steal that from the Prager crank? Or did the Prager crank steal that analogy from PJ Watson?

The idea that standards of "goodness" or of quality, in ANY area of human endeavor, MUST stay rooted in the pre-1870 era is kind of stupid. Even stupider when one realizes that these "old masters" that are so revered were basically, tracing marks onto canvases for hundred of years!

I would love to hear why modern medicine is crap....and hear a Prager crank relate to us his defense of doctors of the 1860's as representing the ne plus ultra of medicine, because that's EXACTLY the (so-called) logic he is attempting to use when he devalues modern art, and elevates pre-Civil War painting to the highest level!

They Don't Make Em Like They Used To is a sure way to get clicks. Now, who wants to go back to a time when bubonic plague and smallpox killed millions, and when a cut finger might mean death in a mere two weeks' time?

Last edited:
What we have here is a failure to communicate.
Try again then quite W.C. Fields.png

Now THIS is ART!!!!

Bob where are you when we need you most?

Have you ever read Coriolanus? Makes Bob Ross's work look pretty good.

Most reactions

Back