What is art?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by danalec99, Apr 15, 2005.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know it is a heavy question.

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    3 little letters the discussion of which provide jobs and a feeling of usefulness to art critics, professors, etc...

Walk away from this thread. Pick up your camera, paint brush, or pencils. You will be better served spending the time you'd waste on this thread creating something. ;)

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao:

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Absolutely - and only through being creative can one discover the answer to the question.

5. santino

santino TPF Noob!

art is all and nothing.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The above posts are all cute. None the less they are very true. I think studying the question is important. No one will have the right answer. Kind of like arguing politics and or religion.

We all know that art can be found in every single thing. Claiming to be an artist may take ("may" being the key word) a conscious decision of every detail in the frame. Esthetic rules DO apply. More importantly; is your personal view of said rules. When you are proud enough to post or print a photo then that is art. You have now made the decision to say "hey world, this is what I think is beautiful and worthy of my attention and time". At this point we learn and go back to the lab or drawing board. Always studying and always trying to improve. Clearly a never ending process.

7. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree about the aesthetic rule comment and I don't. You follow whatever rules you give yourself. Art in general does not have rules. It's the result of the experience of expressing yourself using whatever medium you choose.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Kent brought up a good point. Art is boundless. The other hand is that some things are not pleasing to the eye. Art may also mean understanding your craft. As photographers we apply colour balance, exposure etc to our art. The viewer does not want to see an over exposed portrait under overhead lights at the wrong color temp.

Of course breaking the rules can be effective. Ultimately it is up to the artist to produce the desired results. We can only hope for a portrayal of our vision.