What is going to be on the table tonight.

Ok I broke down and had lunch for dinner. Made a deli turkey sandwich, chips and a couple of cookies.

Yesterdays Meals
Breakfast:
2 egg omelet, filled with chorizo, mushrooms sauted in salsa verde, butter, garlic, and I sprinkled about a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on the omelet before I added the chorizo/mushrooms/garlic filling.
Diced fried potatoes. It was a big potato so I saved 1/2 for dinner.
12-grain whole wheat toast - dry.
Coffee

Lunch:
A banana, 1 oz of mixed nuts, a low sugar yogurt.
A big glass of water

Dinner:
A salad of a chopped up stalk of celery, 4 chopped green onions, a shredded carrot, 3 thin sliced radishes, some chopped cilantro, and cole slaw type cabbage mix. I mixed together some chipotle and Catalina salad dressings.
I had barbecued a bunch of boneless beef ribs the other day to have on hand and had on of those alone with the morning fried potatoes I had saved.
I had a glass of red table wine with the beef.

Desert:
A navel orange.

Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs, (the wife is weird about fried eggs) Bacon done in the oven and biscuits from scratch.

She was asking about what I did to the eggs, she liked them. Instead of salt and pepper I used Bacon salt and pepper. She liked the bacon taste since we had no pan drippings from frying the bacon.

20160421_195705.jpg This !!!

Been traveling for work. 9 straight nights of restaurants or take out. I need some home cooking!!!!!

Can't help you there. Tomorrow is date night. It's the one night we go out to eat. Swing by Sunday, I'm doing burgers on the grill. They will be freshly ground so if you want some pink it's all good. Wife wants to go car shopping tomorrow so lord knows what we will have.

Tonight was mesquite salmon, grill on the Kamado, boiled kale, rice and fresh salad from the garden. Mary Lou picked the salad and tossed in some Cilantro and Orange Mint. All washed down with a Vindemia Grenache. Everything was delish. (The Vindemia was especially delightful.)

Last edited:
Spent the entire day Saturday shopping for a new car for the Momma so take out Pizza was on the evening menu as it was quick, easy and we were tired from car buying. She got a 2016 Nissan Rogue.
Sunday lunch was burgers on the grill, hand ground sirloin roast used to make the burgers. Sunday dinner is always the same and simple. Sunday night is popcorn night.

I put a chicken quarter (w/skin up) in the middle of a big skillet.
I chopped 2 stalks of celery, a carrot, a jalapeño pepper, a potato, a big clove of garlic, 1/2 a red onion and spread all that around the chicken quarter.
I added 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 cup of homemade chicken broth, a 14oz can of diced Italian style tomatoes, some water, salt, black pepper, basil, sage, and oregano.
I brought all that to a simmer for 45 minutes.

While that was going I washed a cup of Jasmine rice and put it in a pot with 1 cup of ham stock, 1 cup of water, a sliced clove of garlic, salt, & fresh ground pepper. I brought that to a boil, simmered it for 15 minutes and let it sit there covered on the burner until I was ready to add it to the chicken/vegetables.

When the chicken/vegetables were done I removed the chicken quarter and removed all the meat. The bones, skin, and whatnot get frozen for my next batch of chicken broth.

The chicken meat, rice and vegetables then got all mixed together into an Arroz con Pollo kind of meal.

I put a chicken quarter (w/skin up) in the middle of a big skillet.
I chopped 2 stalks of celery, a carrot, a jalapeño pepper, a potato, a big clove of garlic, 1/2 a red onion and spread all that around the chicken quarter.
I added 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 cup of homemade chicken broth, a 14oz can of diced Italian style tomatoes, some water, salt, black pepper, basil, sage, and oregano.
I brought all that to a simmer for 45 minutes.

While that was going I washed a cup of Jasmine rice and put it in a pot with 1 cup of ham stock, 1 cup of water, a sliced clove of garlic, salt, & fresh ground pepper. I brought that to a boil, simmered it for 15 minutes and let it sit there covered on the burner until I was ready to add it to the chicken/vegetables.

When the chicken/vegetables were done I removed the chicken quarter and removed all the meat. The bones, skin, and whatnot get frozen for my next batch of chicken broth.

The chicken meat, rice and vegetables then got all mixed together into an Arroz con Pollo kind of meal.
Sounds gooooood. Wednesday night will be our rice dish this week.

2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
10 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces Chicken Breasts Boneless (1 pound of cleaned deveined shrimp may be substituted for the chicken. Do not add shrimp until the last five minutes of cooking)
1 onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 ounce) can crushed Italian tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon file powder
1 1/4 cups uncooked white rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Season the sausage and chicken pieces with Cajun seasoning. Sauté sausage until browned. Remove with slotted spoon, and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil, and saute chicken pieces until lightly browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon, and set aside. (Omit if using shrimp)

In the same pot, sauté onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, and season with red pepper, black pepper, salt, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and file powder. Stir in chicken and sausage. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. If substituting shrimp for the chicken, put it in the last five minutes until the shrimp is pink but not over cooked.

image.jpg

The Tri-Tip before the smoker.

Last night we had another dinner party. Citrus marinaded chicken cooked on the Kamado. Santa Maria style Tri-Tip wrapped in herbs, smoked for eight hours in apple wood and smothered in herbs. Augmented with garlic bread, rice, freshly picked salad from the garden all washed down with my homemade Sangria stuffed with strawberries, grapes, oranges and pineapple, with dinner a Doffo Malbec then a port for dessert.

Last edited:
Not for tonights table, but soon, very soon. Smoked Buffalo Hump Roast. The meat market that I go to will be dressing out Buffalo in about 4 weeks. I want a hump roast. Low, slow, sweet smoke for a very lean piece of meat. Can't wait.

Most reactions

Back