What is in my pictures? Help please

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by xfloggingkylex, Aug 5, 2006.

1. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea what this is. I had sent my camera back a month or so ago to get it cleaned (practically brand new) because I had a very large peice of dust that wouldn't be blown off. I get it back and am loving live, taking tons of shots and learning. Then Im taking pictures of my brothers new hair and when I view them, I notice something. zoom and and Im like, WTF. This has just started since the 30th of july. Pictures prior to that have been fine (I save just about every shot I take). Now this little green mark doesn't show up when I shoot at close apertures like f/32, but on large apertures it is very apparent. Is there something wrong with my sensor? I tried blowing this out but it doesn't seem to be dust. I really dont want to send it back for another 4 weeks :( Help me please.

Said picture (this is a crop so that I wouldn't have to compress the image because making the full image 800x600 makes the spot unnoticable)
    [​IMG]

closer view of the spot, this is the 800x600 crop of the picture
    [​IMG]

Again a very tight close up on said spot
    [​IMG]

BTW, if this is in the wrong forum mods can you please move it. I dont know if this should be in equipment or what. Thanks.

2. Lunatick

Lunatick TPF Noob!

lol! i thought it was a nose stud.

im afraid i cant help you with it though, i feel inept now

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, on another picture it is right at his nose, I was like WTF look at that booger. but I zoomed in using the camera and was like WTF, that isn't a booger at all. :(

I'm really just waiting for someone to confirm my fear that something is wrong with the sensor/sensor matrix. My parents got my camera (Pentax *istDL) as a gift from QVC (my mom is obsessed with it) so I cant just take it back to the store. I'm just trying to decide on my next move that wont leave me without a camera for a month and a half.

4. jake

jake TPF Noob!

You COULD clone it out everytime but that would get old very fast...

5. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could it possibly be on the lense itself?

I would examine your sensor closely for any kind of dust or moisture.

6. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll check the lense, but its a green dot so I am worried that it is a sensor problem. another member here had a green line down his pictures and there was a problem with the sensor matrix.

7. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    It seems to me like a sensor problem, a dead pixel or a series of dead pixels. It seem too big to be just one pixel, but too even to be a dust spot. I'm sure it's nothing on the lens, but I can't explain why it would make a difference at a lower aperture. I imagine it is appearing in exactly the same spot !! Do a test at different apertures of exactly the same subject on a tripod at different file sizes and see if there is any difference. If it always appears, I think you will have to get the sensor checked again.

8. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've checked through my photos it shows up in the same place for every shot. I haven't found out exactly what aperture the green goes away, but even at f/32 there is a small spot where the green mark normally is.

Now should I be able to see this spot in a shot with the lense cap on? because I tried and I couldn't. it was odd. Thanks for the help.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It looks like a hot pixel to me, which can affect pixels surrounding it. Google "hot pixel" for more info. This is usually a bigger problem at higher ISOs. See if it shows up at ISO 100, or if it's worse with higher ISOs.

As far as I know, most digital sensors can suffer from this. My Canon 20D has a hot pixel that shows up as a red speck sometimes when I'm at ISO 400 or faster. It's definately not as bright as yours. Canon won't fix them; I don't know about other manufacturers. There are ways to make a mask that allows for quicker fixing in editing software.

10. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    canon wont fix it? even under the warrenty? my camera is less than 4 months old.

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As I understand it, they consider the occasional hot pixel to just be part of working with digital sensors. Within their quality control standards. I've heard they will send me some sort of software masking that would make it easy to eliminate the spot in my photos during post processing.

My hot pixel isn't noticable all the time. Yours looks worse (hot pixel, or what ever it is), and maybe they would fix it.

12. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah. I have to send it to pentax so its gonna be another 5 weeks of down time. Am I insane or is this ridiculous that after spending 600 dollars that they would be in possession of it more often than me?

I am just so frustrated with all of this I can't begin to tell you.