What is ISO? Help with ISO with this simple guide - Digital and film ISO explained

ChrisRidley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ISO is fundamentally the sensitivity at which your cameras sensor reacts to the light when you open the shutter. ISO is measured in a scale (On standard digital cameras) from ISO is the number indicating.......

This article should be helpful for someone :) If you find it useful please 'digg' it so others can find it easier!

Apart from the obvious repeat offence of pimping which doesn't seem to have a place here... I see that it is aimed at the most basic of levels so the content is biased towards simplicity rather than technical accuracy, but wouldn't it be better to put a space between 'ISO' and the value, such as 'ISO 400' instead of 'ISO400'? That is, after all, how the ISO themselves write it. Don't you thinkthatit also looks morereadable?

"ISO is measured in a scale (On standard digital cameras) from ISO is the number indicating.." doesn't make sense to me.

Best,
Helen

you know, I genuinely thought it would may help someone - believe it or not, not everyone may know as much as you, and if you think I am really 'pimping my blog' then that's pretty pathetic.
If this is the attitude you have towards people genuinely trying to help people then so be it, I just won't bother.

Pathetic, you really are. I didn't believe the reputation this forum had before I joined, I thought i'd join anyway and lo and behold, shock horror, pathetic people just try and shoot you down.

Easy to be critical behind a computer screen in the security of your own self importance.

" repeat offence of pimping ", what? you mean TWO articles are repeat offences?!

Crazy

More than one is would be a repeat.

I thought the article was interesting and helpful to me Thank you:thumbup:

^^ Yes me too. Being a total noob, I found it quite helpful. Keep up the good work Chris.

Why would offering information to the uninformed be considered pimping?

I suppose if one was expected to pay a fee to receive the info, that would be one thing, but if it is given freely, why bust the guys balls?

I found the incident more amusing than serious, but Chris seems to have taken it rather seriously. Maybe it hit the mark?

For a hint of the possible source of the pimping comment, maybe it is worth looking at his previous post, the replies to which he ignored completely. At least he replied this time.

All the advice on this forum is given freely, not just Chris'. Advice given on this forum can be challenged, and different opinions can be offered. I offered my opinion. Personally, I believe that is a good way of doing things.

There is already an excellent guide to film ISO in an article on this site. Maybe one of us should volunteer to write a beginner's article on digital and film ISO to complement it, then get it reviewed and commented on before publication.

Best,
Helen

you know, I genuinely thought it would may help someone - believe it or not, not everyone may know as much as you, and if you think I am really 'pimping my blog' then that's pretty pathetic.
If this is the attitude you have towards people genuinely trying to help people then so be it, I just won't bother.

Pathetic, you really are. I didn't believe the reputation this forum had before I joined, I thought i'd join anyway and lo and behold, shock horror, pathetic people just try and shoot you down.

Easy to be critical behind a computer screen in the security of your own self importance.

I think you should seriously consider to CALM DOWN.

Else the way you exclusively react to negative comments only could give us a false impression of your fine personality.

I cannot see why you are biting in all directions now.

I have no problem with the information. But you didn't post it here - where you'd be contributing to this community - you just left a teaser for a story that resides on your blog. So what you're doing is driving traffic to your blog. We live in the media age, so if you want to drive traffic from here to your site, you should be paying for that service. That's usually done by buying an ad.

The previous two links you left were actually somewhat contextual - they were in response to questions posed by members here. Fair enough, though it's your content, and you could just cut-and-paste it into a thread response here.

THIS thread was started simply as a means to get people to go to your blog, and to read things there. Then you asked to be added to Digg by readers so you can become more popular.

No need to indict the thousands of members here because you're not getting accolades or kudos. If you want traffic, pay for it, or build a community and readership the old fashioned way. There's lots of people who do it via existing forums, check out Sean Reid and his commitment to the Leica User's Forum, for instance.

Also the reaction may be a little better if these were not your first few posts on this forum.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Nicon & Toanaldino, appriciated :)

This makes it fairly clear that Chris is not appreciative of the time that other people on this forum have spent reading his article and making suggestions for its improvement, and that he has no wish to engage in a discussion with them. It looks like he's only here to pimp his blog.

Hopefully he will now show us that I am wrong about that.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back