What is it about photography...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Mumfandc, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Mumfandc

Mumfandc TPF Noob!

...that turns people into JERKS!?

I sometimes linger around the message boards at photo.net and the threads can get really FEISTY.

One thread was talking about a new film, and it turns into a game of name-calling and insults. And never forget the "film vs. digital" debate.

It supposed to be the site where the "real" pros meet...but it's ironic because some of them are so childish. There's one guy "Scott Eaton" who responds in almost every thread, and I can usually tell his posts without looking at the poster's name just by the usual quarrelsome tone of the responses he makes. He was even banned a couple times, even though he pays to support the site. I guess trolls know how to hold cameras!

2. Kent Frost

Kent Frost TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not much one to get into these kinds of discussions, but I had to point this out:

By making this thread, you're doing no different.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Believe me...it's not just photography. :lol:

I wouldn't say that photo.net is where the "real" pros meet. It's just the site with the most traffic (I think). Sure there are lost of pros there but I'd say they are out numbered 100-1 by know-it-all internet jerks. With all those people, it's hard to moderate and keep things civil. That's why this site is the best...the people are genuine and the moderators work hard to keep things from getting out of hand. There have even been a few jerks around here. :shock:

Sites like that are good for some things...with that many people, there are few questions that will go unanswered...on the other hand, you can only read "what lens should I buy?" so many times before you go insane.

4. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

TPP is actually ok with this respect. U should see dpreview :D

5. Mumfandc

Mumfandc TPF Noob!

I haven't spent much time at dpreview to notice. I think photosig.com (both the forum and critiques) are just as bad as photo.net.

On www.photosig.com people are really hungry for their point ratings.

I once gave an HONEST thumbs down rating on a photo I thought was poor. The photographer therefore lost ONE POINT, he then gets his revenge by deducting like 20 points off my rating by giving me thumbs down ratings on about 10 of my crits.

That's why I like this forum better!

6. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

we just like to chill out, watch the simpsons and eat friggin doritos here at TPF.

we is relaxed. :er:

md

7. Mumfandc

Mumfandc TPF Noob!

That's true...I'm a Fine Arts major, and in my painting class we always have to do formal critique discussions at the end of every assignment.

Just two weeks ago we had one. I thought this was kind of funny...before the critique, I was talking to a classmate how I never thought our critique discussions ever get serious. So our professor asked one student what he thought of this one painting...his response:

"I don't like it at ALL. In fact, I'll say that I don't think J__ should even be called an artist. He does the same thing every semester. He doesn't deserve a critique. And I feel me just saying that is too much of a critique that he's not worthy of..."

At that point everyone's mouths dropped to the floor...

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not the photography, it's the anonymity of internet communication that makes some folks feel like they can leave their manners at home.

9. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

All washed down by fine French wine of course.

THAT'S what's wrong with other forums - they're all sober. Call themselves professionals? Pah!

10. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I'm with ksmattfish, it's not photography so to speak that bring out the A-Holes it's the internet and specifically forums. I'm on a few photo forums and a few gaming and what have you and they all have their share of a-holes. In fact I think the photo sites have rather few.

One more thing that I just thought of, is that when your talking to an artisit and critiqueing their work, your critiquing something that THEY CREATED. So they're going to feel possesive and defensive from the very beginning and it's realy easy to set people off.

11. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Glad yah like it here...ive never really seen a proper argument, and if there ever was one, it would be over quickly im sure!

12. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, of course we all like it here! but that's because we all are 16! :lol: ...You know, when you get older you get bitter :sexywink: