What is it worth?

bytch_mynickname

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I received the offer below, I do not know what to offer b/c I am so new at slr cameras. I mainly want the lenses for my Rebel XT...I think! Do I want them or no? And what would you pay for the whole lot? Thanks guys, hopefully one day soon I won't ask so many questions.

" have three lenses and two Canon EOS Elan cameras. Two came with the cameras they are Canon zoom lens EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6' one of these is marked ultrasonic the other is not. I also have a Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm !:4-5.6 II with a Quantaray 2X AF Teleconverter for Canon. I'm in XXX ake me an offer via email- everything is in perfect shape and we should be able to agree a price before you spend any time coming out."

He also said that the entire kit includes a bag and a set of filters. He didn't say what kind of filter but did say that if I am getting into photography, they could be fun toys which leads me to believe they may be special effect filters? I am not too worried about the filters, I will just look at them as an added bonus since I don't know what all is there. He said he paid well over $2000 for everything about 15 years ago.

What should my offer be?

Thanks again!

As a potential buyer, I always prefer to have the seller start the price negotiations. Each seller has in their mind what their stuff is worth and more often than not its a bit higher than what should be expected.

In my opinion, there's really nothing much in the offer thats worth a lot. The two 15 year old Elans are probaby worth $50-70 bucks each. The three zooms are probably 30-40 each. The Quantaray 2x teleconverter maybe $15 bucks.

I personally would pass on it if my intentions were lenses for a rather nice Rebel XT DSLR. I have a hard time believing that $2000 was spent 15 years ago on the described equipment.

Well the seller told me he would take $180 for all. Is there a market for the two elan's? I have no use for them so if I could sell them off and make some of my money back that would be great. I know the lenses aren't all that great but the only thing I have is the 18-55 kit lens that came with my rebel. Would I be wasting my time and money by picking these up and selling what I don't need off and keeping the lenses, except selling the duplicate 35-80mm, keeping the USM one though. I am not sure what size the filters are but if they are any good, I could get a step-ring to use them. I would have to travel about 1.5 hours each way to get the stuff but I could also make it a shopping trip since I live in the middle of nowhere and I only get down that way about once a year if I am lucky.

Is it worth it or should I just forget about it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back