What is photography about...? Have your say.

It is interesting how we all use the word photography to describe what we do, but we are often doing very different things. I've got several friends who I would describe as very serious photographers, but for them the gear, process, and activity are the main point. While I enjoy all that too, I am primarily concerned with the finished print. I look at photography as just like other visual arts; there are no set rules, and I'm allowed to get as creative as I can muster. Other folks want photography to be accurate to reality as possible.

I'll have to say I've had far too many hard drives fail on me to believe in the limitlessness of digital.

My experience is the opposite. I have never had a hard drive (my 1st HD computer in 92), memory card, or disc fail. If it did it wouldn't matter; everything is backed up multiple times. I've been using digital for 4 years now, easily taking as many photos as in the previous 10 years of film photography, and I have yet to lose or damaged a digital file that I wanted to keep.

With film I could count on damaging dozens of frames every year. Whether I did the processing or took it to the pro lab mistakes were occasionally made. Sometimes damaging a little or a lot, sometimes destroying frames and entire rolls; light stuck, processing mistakes, mis-cut, fingerprints, scratches... It just happens; being careful keeps it from happening often, but if you shoot a lot, and the negs are handled a lot, it's just going to happen.

I had my own darkroom, and worked in a full service photo lab; I've seen film destroyed in a lot of different ways. It's horrifying! I have this fantastic photo taken on Kodak Royal Gold 25 of bright red and yellow construction cranes against a polarized, navy sky; I got one good 16x24 print before trying to blow some dust off, and a tiny fleck of spit landed on the emulsion in the sky effectively wrecking the neg. There was an electrical fire in the house wiring of my darkroom. The negs that were out survived the fire, but they didn't survive the firemen's hoses. 4 rolls of C41 120 of wedding formals getting light struck by lab tech mishandling is what inspired me to buy my first DSLR.

The fact is that film, files, and prints are pretty fragile, and if someone isn't taking an active interest in archiving them they will most likely be damaged, lost, or destroyed. The difference is that if you decide to properly archive your photos it's very easy to make lossless copies of digital files and store them in numerous physical locations, and other than scanning or just taking more shots of the same thing, not many easy or affordable ways to losslessly duplicate frames of film.

Yes, people find old photos in attics, basements, and thrift stores. I bet that closer analysis would show that those are not particularly effective archiving strategies; possibly with even lower survival rates than hard drives. ;) People will be finding lost photos on the internet. C-prints and silver gelatin prints can be made from either; high end ink jet prints are more stable than wet prints.

I can't quite get a lock on why I like photography or why I do it. Seriously. I probably spend 40 hours a week thinking about or doing something related to it, and I'm not totally sure why.

It's probably some combination of...
  • Electronic gadgets with blinky lights that make cool noises
  • Trying to make the electronic gadgets bend to my will
  • Doing something artistic for a change, which is so not what I'm generally considered "good at"
  • Desperate grasping at immortality (which I think is a part of what drives all artists/authors/musicians)
  • Seeking attention (come on, admit it... you love it when people see a picture you took and "ooo" and "aaahhh" at it)
Still all of these things seem so superficial to me, and the interesting thing about cameras is I can just pick one up and hold it, and the mere feeling of the thing in my hand just makes me smile. Taking a picture and hearing that little shick-shick sound? Absolute bliss. I just reached over and grabbed the D100 I always have sitting on my desk and was like "ahhhh yeah, baby... that's the stuff."

Dunno. Photography is a very weird thing for me. :)

Photography is just our way of preserving and reproducing what we see, so that others can see it too.

Yes, it is about preservation and passing on what deem to be beautiful and valuable.

I think photography is the art of giving meaning to what we observe in that natural world. There is so much to see, too much to capture, and it is the photographer's mission to capture glimpses of the natural world not only to show it to others, but to show it to them in a meaningful way...in a way that hopefully tells a story.

for me it's the act of attempting to show something particular to someone who may not have seen it.

more or less my idea of photography aswell.

for me its not showing or making art, its showing somthing i like doing.

as for the digital V traditional stuff it makes no difference who likes doing what or which is better/worse, it is the end result that is important how it is done is what the photographer feels maks his work great/different

Photography for me is taking a photo of how I see something. I dont want to take a photo of how you see something.
It is my hobby that takes me away from my insane every day life.
Trenton said it best. :thumbup::thumbup:

I agree. I said so in another thread as well but got kinda jumped.

"What is art?" or "How do I interact with art?" of course is a different question.

Last edited:
I agree. I said so in another thread as well but got kinda jumped.

"What is art?" or "How do I interact with art?" of course is a different question.

Isnt Art the guy with no arms and legs that ya hang on the wall. :lol::lmao::lol:

I thought that was Bob? Oh, wait... that's the guy in the pool... :p

Last edited:
Photography for me is taking a photo of how I see something. I dont want to take a photo of how you see something.
It is my hobby that takes me away from my insane every day life.

Interesting take. When I think about more, I see that sometimes I do try to get someone else to see something differently through a photo. I mean, you can't help how people will interpret what they see, but you can shape how they interpret what they thought they saw or believed when you present a photo to them that capture something in new way.

Photography to me is as much about time as it is about light. If the timing is incorrect just as if lighting is incorrect the the final product, the captured image, suffers.

I am not going to discuss the article because all of the seemingly positive and bright points seemed shadowed by an underlying drive to promote chemical negs over and above digital negs.

perhaps I have said to much already. please accept my apologies.

To me photography is both digital and chemical. Digital and chemical are just a means to an end, and oh my that end can be oh so beautiful! I mean when you get a capture and it is perfect to you in all aspects you consider important... Who can touch you...Who can touch you? You can't explain the feeling, It's a good one though. And even though you can't really explain the feeling other photographers that share your love for the art know what you are feeling.

And the best part about it is that even though the moment in time has come and gone. Thanks to you, the moment can be shared with others. And that once again is a great feeling.

To me photography is a gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving. :) The time you snap the shutter? It rocks! The time you spend developing? It rocks! And the time you share the image with others? Yeah that rocks too! IMHO ~ Cheers!

Photography is about light and how it helps to instill emotional responses from viewing reproductions of said light.

Many years ago in a galaxy far, far away a debate raged with regard to photography and its worth as a form of "art". It was during that time that I sat down and tried to put my opinion down in some sort of essay. In the end my thoughts on the subject were conveyed is a simple 35-word statement....

Photography is the art of showing our fellow man the infiniteness of beauty, tragedy, love, despair, happiness, and suffering - hence giving him the knowledge that these things exist, should he pass by and not see.

With regard to the original question, I think it is still applicable. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back