What is the benefit to being married? Why get married?

The main benefit is never having to decide, ever again, what you want to do next as your wife will make all those decisions for you :meh:

:wink:

bace said:
Are you judging someone by the way they look? I don't know these people? Are you telling me that by the way they look alone I should be able to tell they're not American.

P.S. I'm only half kidding. You racist you.

:er: Don't make me hurt you. :er:

I know you didn't want to bring this into the thread but these are my wife's and my own reasons for getting married..........

My wife is Catholic and it would be unacceptable to her and her church to raise a family without being married, and her church is very important to her.

I'm a very old fashioned and traditional kinda person so for me raising a family out of wedlock was also unacceptable.

Two different reasons but both work for us and make us happy.:thumbup:

Leaving religion out I guess I would say the benefit is a lifetime commitment of unconditional love, respect, & faithfulness. But one could argue that such a commitment can be made without marriage, or that marriage doesn't guarantee such a commitment... and they would be right.

Therefore, I think your personal beliefs about marriage will determine the "benefits" of such a union. My marriage is based on a particular set of beliefs which determine the "benefits" for me. Someone else might believe it's okay to marry 14 wives and his "benefits" are going to be completely different than mine :lol: .

other than that, it's fun, you get to use words like "wife" and "husband" when referring to your significant other, instead of "companion" or "partner" or "significant other".

i thought there was supposed to be a tax break for married couples filing jointly in the US, but when i figure it out, there is only like a $3 difference.

JTHphoto said:
Leaving religion out I guess I would say the benefit is a lifetime commitment of unconditional love, respect, & faithfulness. But one could argue that such a commitment can be made without marriage, or that marriage doesn't guarantee such a commitment... and they would be right.

Therefore, I think your personal beliefs about marriage will determine the "benefits" of such a union. My marriage is based on a particular set of beliefs which determine the "benefits" for me. Someone else might believe it's okay to marry 14 wives and his "benefits" are going to be completely different than mine :lol: .

other than that, it's fun, you get to use words like "wife" and "husband" when referring to your significant other, instead of "companion" or "partner" or "significant other".

i thought there was supposed to be a tax break for married couples filing jointly in the US, but when i figure it out, there is only like a $3 difference.

That'd be sweet if you were making $10billion combined.

Unless you are already, on which case, that sucks.

core_17 said:
:er: Don't make me hurt you. :er:

*Pokes you arm repeatedly*

JTHphoto said:

The friends I mentioned above did the same thing, and got a $4 difference! :lol:

Marriage = big rock on finger!! WOOOOOOO!!! LMAO
My husband's grandfather gave us $5000 when we got married, on top of what other people gave us, but of course it did not last long (I like to spend money!)
Marriage is not for everyone. It is SUPPOSE to be a lifelong commitment to your partner. These days it is taken way too lightly and ends in divorce. I for one did not get married until I knew it was right and was going to last.
I guess I should quote myself to my grandma who has been married 12 times. She asked me why I had my oldest son out of wedlock. She said that I should have been married! I told her "Grandma, when I get married, it is going to be for the right reasons, to someone I really love - I am only going to do it once and not take 12 shots at it!" bahahahahahaha! We have not seen eachother since then (10 yrs ago).
It is not what it use to be, excluding my grandma. People use to get married and stay married and burried next to eachother after 50 years of marriage. Now it is just something cool to do. Oh well, I am going to shut up now.. :D

MommyOf4Boys said:
People use to get married and stay married and burried next to eachother after 50 years of marriage. Now it is just something cool to do. Oh well, I am going to shut up now.. :D

50 YEARS????

If I bump her off now I could be out again in 20! :lol:

core_17 said:
My best friend and her husband made $5000 at thier wedding. They are as American as apple pie.

So not at all then :lol:

They do seem pretty good for money.

Weddings are based in religion. But have become tradition also and so people have them like they celebrate christmas.

Knowing that you have a much better chance of spending the rest of your life with that person. Although this is just a piece of paper. You dont have to get married for this happen. It just gives you that extra piece of mind.

In my case getting married would have allowed me to legally adopt her youngest. I would have adopted the oldest but his real father stays in the picture and is making an effort, despite how weak it is sometimes, to stay in his life and show he cares.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back