What is the best bang for the buck Bokeh lens for a D5300

unlike the D5300, the D7000 has a built in focus motor, allowing you access to many more lenses while retaining the ability to AF them.
35-70 f/2.8D is ~400
50mm f/1.4D is ~$200
85mm f/1.8D is ~$300
80-200 f/2.8D is ~600 (less for push-pull version)
300mm f/4 AF ~$400

you can also AF Tamron and Sigmas older fast zooms like the 17-50 f/2.8 ~$300
28-75 f/2.8 ~$300

the possibilities are endless!

Do I need a special adapter to mount it to my D7000?
Yes. Your camera body is a Nikon F mount, and that lens is an M 42 mount.

I really want to thank you all.. You have been so helpful!!! Really nice group of peeps!!

-Shane

Bang for the buck (new):
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Nikon mount
- Manual focus, hey you have to have at least one.

They seem to be selling on Ebay for a wide variety of prices.70.00- 275.00 :)

Again, because there's 4-5 variations of the lens. Only one has 15 blades.

Yep. That lens will work.

When you say 'best bokeh lens' are you referring to a lens that can deliver a shallow depth-of-field?
DoF is adjustable, bokeh isn't.

If you are wanting to make photos of people, many people are uncomfortable with the photographer as close as a 50 mm f.18 requires to get a very shallow DoF.
That's why I used 105 mm to 200 mm to photograph people . I could get the same shallow DoF, but I was 4x further from the subject compared to using a 50 mm lens.

Point of focus distance, lens focal length, image sensor size, and lens aperture determine how shallow the DoF is.

Bokeh is an aesthetic quality determined by lens construction. The number and shape of the lens aperture blades plays a big part in determining the quality of bokeh. More aperture blades and curved blades that have rounded edges tend to produce the most pleasing bokeh.
So the only way to adjust bokeh is to change the lens design.

A good point but not fully true, as it is possible to adjust the Bokeh.
Adding a suitable mask as a filter can give bokeh of any shape you want. The size of the mask must be smaller than the effective diameter of the lens or the internals of the lens will limit things., The mask limits the actual aperture of the lens, creating an aperture of the shape you want.
I think I've only got one poor example of this on flickr (Butterfly bokeh portrait Flickr - Photo Sharing ) where the out of focus christmas lights in the background have taken on the shape of the butterfly mask I used. This website explains the process: DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography

You want bokeh? You want it cheap?

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8. The one with 15 aperture blades. Goes by the alias Bokeh Monster and Bokeh King. Sells for around $200-225.

Downsides: It comes in the M42 mount, so you'll need an adapter. And you lose the ability to automatically close the aperture, so you'll be using it as a preset lens.

that won't work well on a nikon.

Yep. That lens will work.

When you say 'best bokeh lens' are you referring to a lens that can deliver a shallow depth-of-field?
DoF is adjustable, bokeh isn't.

If you are wanting to make photos of people, many people are uncomfortable with the photographer as close as a 50 mm f.18 requires to get a very shallow DoF.
That's why I used 105 mm to 200 mm to photograph people . I could get the same shallow DoF, but I was 4x further from the subject compared to using a 50 mm lens.

Point of focus distance, lens focal length, image sensor size, and lens aperture determine how shallow the DoF is.

Bokeh is an aesthetic quality determined by lens construction. The number and shape of the lens aperture blades plays a big part in determining the quality of bokeh. More aperture blades and curved blades that have rounded edges tend to produce the most pleasing bokeh.
So the only way to adjust bokeh is to change the lens design.

A good point but not fully true, as it is possible to adjust the Bokeh.
Adding a suitable mask as a filter can give bokeh of any shape you want. The size of the mask must be smaller than the effective diameter of the lens or the internals of the lens will limit things., The mask limits the actual aperture of the lens, creating an aperture of the shape you want.
I think I've only got one poor example of this on flickr (Butterfly bokeh portrait Flickr - Photo Sharing ) where the out of focus christmas lights in the background have taken on the shape of the butterfly mask I used. This website explains the process: DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh - DIY Photography

You're effectively using a waterhouse stop when applying the aperture to the end of the lens like this.

Waterhouse stop - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

There are some crazy people trying to sell modern petzval lenses from $600-$800 at
Lenses Lomography Shop
Pure crazyness if you ask me, you can get a brand new nikon 85mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g for hundreds less and they are far better general purpose lenses.

You can get a perfectly round aperture on any lens by shooting wide open. Some will produce better bokeh than others due to the structure of the lens.

50 1.8G or 35 f/1.8G DX are both the best bang for your buck bokeh! If you want to spend a little extra then the 85 1.8G will be the best bang for your buck bokeh too!

You want bokeh? You want it cheap?

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8. The one with 15 aperture blades. Goes by the alias Bokeh Monster and Bokeh King. Sells for around $200-225.

Downsides: It comes in the M42 mount, so you'll need an adapter. And you lose the ability to automatically close the aperture, so you'll be using it as a preset lens.

Sounds like a really good price for a good 135mm I will check into that one~!
Edit: Fact check canon adapted the EOS mount less than 30 years ago, but they still were not using screw mount all the way back to the FL mount in 1964.

Edit 2: Canon has not used a screw mount to my now increased knowledge. My original assertaion appears to be true since there were 2 types of fd mounts bayonet and breech lock

History of the Canon SLR Lens Mount items in Plumtree Photo store on eBay
check out Ed Mika's website, the guy is brilliant with his adapters for old Canon lens. he's got mounts for FL, FD, nFD, and others I don't remember. they're specific to particular models too. they all come with a Dandelion chip that you can programme for focus confirmation. the only downside is that the mirror still gets stuck when focusing to infinity - but this is easily fixed if you focus to a little before infinity, turn on Live View, focus to infinity, take the shot, focus a little before infinity, and turn off Live View. easy steps.

Best bokeh lens for d7000? My answer would be the nikon 105 f2 DC. The 135 f2 DC might be too long for dx camera. Recently got the 105 dc instead of a 85mm and i think i made the right choice. though the 85mm 1.8G would be cheaper.

I'd rather have a 50 1.4 or 85 1.4

try KEH for a 50mm 1.8 AIS mount that will work in full manual mode on a digital Nikon SLR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back