What is the best choice for size of picture?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by photo_passion, Feb 17, 2010.

1. photo_passion

photo_passion TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I have a choice of Small, Medium and Large size of pictures in the cam configuration. By SIZE I mean dimensions of side1 * side2.

If I choose large, in the end they will have to fit in a screen much smaller than they really are...

So if my goal is to have the best quality possible when published in the web or in a computer viewer what should I choose for original pic size?

I suspect that if I should choose large, then I will be able to crop with less loss of quality than if the pic was small already. Am I correct?

If I choose small size, and the image will be put in the screen without being forced to fit too much into a smaller area do I gain quality?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yep
    shoot largest possible and shrink it in processing,

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are only going to show the images on the web or a computer screen, then you probably don't need the large size...however, using the large size gives you more options. More info for cropping etc. And if you ever want to print a photo, you'll be glad to have it in large size.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think I've ever seen that before. I've seen a variable quality setting like normal, fine, super or whatever which makes a smaller to larger file size, but not one which physically makes the image dimensions smaller. What's the purpose?

Memory cards are practically free now, shoot in the best quality possible and then edit it to what you need.