What is the best lens i can use?

Maani_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I take photos of old houses, landscapes and people, so i am planning to get a good lens and i am thinking to purchase Nikkor 18-200mm.

is it a good lens? do you guys recommend getting a different one?
[h=1][/h]

Is this personal or paid work? What is your budget? The 18-200 is NOT a lens I recommend. It's cheaply made, slow and has heavy distortion at both ends of its FL. For architectural work. I would recommend the 35mm PC.

An all in one zoom is a major compromise in quality.
Honestly, there is no ONE lens that is great for every situation. I'd say you need a fairly wide zoom like the 24-70 or 17-55 for most of what you shoot. It's not a lot of zoom, but there are very few situations in what you listed that you need zoom.

a one lens does all usually does all at the price of image quality. Convenience or Quality. although many of the best zoom lenses are at or near prime lens quality. Like mentioned already, what's your budget?

Is this personal or paid work? What is your budget? The 18-200 is NOT a lens I recommend. It's cheaply made, slow and has heavy distortion at both ends of its FL. For architectural work. I would recommend the 35mm PC.

Honestly, there is no ONE lens that is great for every situation. I'd say you need a fairly wide zoom like the 24-70 or 17-55 for most of what you shoot. It's not a lot of zoom, but there are very few situations in what you listed that you need zoom.

a one lens does all usually does all at the price of image quality. Convenience or Quality. although many of the best zoom lenses are at or near prime lens quality. Like mentioned already, what's your budget?

What they said. Well my work is done here. On to another thread. :lol:

For the price of an 18-200mm you can buy a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and still have $$ left over for a fast prime or a cheap telephoto.

Old houses, landscapes, and people will require 3 or more different lenses.

A good wide angle for the landscapes (plus good steady tripod legs and a head), a tilt/shift lens for the old houses, and a couple of fast prime lenses for the people.

Actually it is both, since you do not recommend it I believe i committed a mistake since a friend of mine from the states is going to get it for me soon.
The budget is like around $600.
Do you think the lens you mentioned is better than 18-200mm

Thanks, the thing is that i need to take photos from a long distance, do you think the zoom lenses are not good in general ?

My budget is around $550
I noticed that most people recommend getting wide lenses rather than getting zoom ones, what do u think?

Thanks, the thing is that i need to take photos from a long distance, do you think the zoom lenses are not good in general ?

They can be good, but they cost an arm and a leg. Is this just a hobby for fun?

Old houses, landscapes, and people will require 3 or more different lenses.

A good wide angle for the landscapes (plus good steady tripod legs and a head), a tilt/shift lens for the old houses, and a couple of fast prime lenses for the people.

Wow then i need a huge budget :) what do you recommend buying first, and do you think this lens is useless it will not give me the results I want ?

They can be good, but they cost an arm and a leg. Is this just a hobby for fun?

Actually it is a hobby and work both of them, I am a reporter and i take photos of the stories i do and i sometimes take photos for the paper in general. do you think that buying 18-200mm is a mistake and it will not give me good results ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back