What is the best lens i can use?

Usually when a lens can offer high zoom, it is targeted to consumer. Cheaply made and the IQ is horrible. 18-200 is like more than 10X! It wont be good. But consumers mostly see the range and they buy it! It makes no sense to them to buy 70-200 because it is less than 3X zoom.

If you want zoom, stick with no more than 3X zoom. Usually those are better.

Zoom lenses in general aren't bad. There are superb ones on the market, however they aren't cheap and they don't cover a giant range like that. In your budget you have to decide what you need most. You can get a used Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for about your budget which is the long zoom. Not good for family portraits or wide angles. OR you can pick up the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for somewhere around $500 give or take. Its a fairly wide angle to mild zoom. Tamron also makes a 17-55 f/2.8 zoom which is a good wide angle to normal lens. All three are infinitely better quality than an all in one zoom.
Quality isn't cheap. So now you get to decide what you need-all in one that is quality equal to or less than your kit lens OR quality zoom OR quality wide angle?

I will add that I think you probably will need the quality wide angle more so than zoom first.

Any body know much about tamrons 35-105mm f2.8? I don't want to recommend something I haven't read reviews on.
Nikon Autofocus 35-105 F2.8 TAMRON ASPHERICAL SP (67) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

And maybe a 14mm prime for the wide side.
Nikon Autofocus 14 F2.8 TAMRON ASPHERICAL D INTERNAL FOCUS SP (GEL) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS SUPER WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com

Not sure if 105mm will have enough reach for you though.

The tamron is an older lens that gets a fair review. It's not top of the line by any means, but is definitely going to be a better lens than the all in one lens. As it seems to be with all of Tamron's lenses it's a bit slower on the focus than some others. Probably wouldn't be so hot for football or basketball on a professional level, but otherwise it may be a viable option. I'd have to do some more reading on it before I could say yea or nay. For the price? it doesn't look TOO bad... For that price you might be able to combine with a TC to get the extra zoom for some things. 35 isn't ultra wide and you may want to go with that prime also. Another kicker may well be the camera you're working with and the focus motor issues in some of the entry level Nikons. I do believe there is no AF motor in the 35-105 Nikon.

Maani_20 said:
Is it better than the one i mentioned ?

Yes! Its pro quality. U can typically distinguish between consumer glass and pro by paying attention to the aperture. Pro lenses have fixed low apertures, like 2.8, Not variable larger numbers like 3.5-5.6. Of course aperture, speed, isnt everything, it is indicative of the overall quality of the lens. Pro lenses will be sharper, have better contrast, less distortion, and work better in low light.

Usually when a lens can offer high zoom, it is targeted to consumer. Cheaply made and the IQ is horrible. 18-200 is like more than 10X! It wont be good. But consumers mostly see the range and they buy it! It makes no sense to them to buy 70-200 because it is less than 3X zoom.

If you want zoom, stick with no more than 3X zoom. Usually those are better.

Zoom lenses in general aren't bad. There are superb ones on the market, however they aren't cheap and they don't cover a giant range like that. In your budget you have to decide what you need most. You can get a used Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for about your budget which is the long zoom. Not good for family portraits or wide angles. OR you can pick up the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for somewhere around $500 give or take. Its a fairly wide angle to mild zoom. Tamron also makes a 17-55 f/2.8 zoom which is a good wide angle to normal lens. All three are infinitely better quality than an all in one zoom.
Quality isn't cheap. So now you get to decide what you need-all in one that is quality equal to or less than your kit lens OR quality zoom OR quality wide angle?

Thanks for your great answer :)

Maani_20 said:
Is it better than the one i mentioned ?

Yes! Its pro quality. U can typically distinguish between consumer glass and pro by paying attention to the aperture. Pro lenses have fixed low apertures, like 2.8, Not variable larger numbers like 3.5-5.6. Of course aperture, speed, isnt everything, it is indicative of the overall quality of the lens. Pro lenses will be sharper, have better contrast, less distortion, and work better in low light.

I need lenses that are sharper and have better contrast, less distortion, and work better in low light. i will believe your lens looks amazing

Look into the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. It will auto focus on your D5100 where most of the Tamron's in that range won't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back