What is the best magazine for digital photography?

hombredelmar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

There are lots of magazines for digital photography with similar content and lots of product advertisement

Wanted to know what type of magazine would you suggest, magazine that would include informative and useful articles with photo examples and future photo trends

Thanks

they are redundant.
Go to the library, read a year's worth and then spend your money on a mag that promotes photography as art.

I've heard the internet has some good information.

Purchase one issue of "Shutterbug" off the newsstand.

Interesting question actually. I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and noticed they had a lot more photography magazines than computer magazines. I remember a time when it was the other way around.

I subscribe to Popular Photography. They've been around longer than others, I think, so it's hard to go wrong with them. (Not that any of the others are "wrong"...)

I enjoy my subscription to American Photo. I do not really "learn" anything from it, but I like the layout/pictures, and writing.

American Photo |

To be honest, most of the magazines are about 70% advertisements 20% gear reviews\tests and 10% often mundane articles. I still subscribe to Shutterbug, mostly because I enjoy having something photography related to look thru once a month. There is a magazine that comes out 4 times a year called "Photographic" that does have interesting and often useful info in it. Barnes and Noble should have it, its not available as a subscription and if I recall there are no ads. The fall issue should be available now.

I've subscribed to a few and there is a lot of redundancy. Even though I've been taking pictures for over 20 years I am just recently getting serious about actually learning about photography and different techniques. I think that in a year I should have a pretty good collection of articles about various techniques. I also like them for the reviews of new equipment. I do plan to cancel the subscriptions after getting about a yeats worth and maybe keep one for the equipment reviews and to have something to read when waiting on whatever I may be waiting on.

Hello everyone!

There are lots of magazines for digital photography with similar content and lots of product advertisement

Wanted to know what type of magazine would you suggest, magazine that would include informative and useful articles with photo examples and future photo trends

Thanks
Totally depends upon what it is you want to focus on (no pun intended). There are some that focus more on landscape, others portraiture, others have a heavy dose of "let's show how to do post processing work" and others are very big on tech-product reviews. My suggestion is that you indicate what it is that you really want to do more of and would get value from. Or if you're not sure what that is at this point, then go to the newsstand (or do a search on-line) for about 35 magazines and peruse them with the point of noting what you see the strengths and weaknesses are of each, what each one seems to focus on.

Most of what I see in the magazines out are really basic articles and guides for stuff you can find a million places online.

To be honest, most of the magazines are about 70% advertisements 20% gear reviews\tests and 10% often mundane articles. I still subscribe to Shutterbug, mostly because I enjoy having something photography related to look thru once a month. There is a magazine that comes out 4 times a year called "Photographic" that does have interesting and often useful info in it. Barnes and Noble should have it, its not available as a subscription and if I recall there are no ads. The fall issue should be available now.

Just checked this out and it looks pretty cool! Not sure about finding it at B&N (I haven't seen it and I've looked recently, though, they may have sold out), but the website looks pretty informative. I may be picking up a copy...Thanks for the tip!

Outdoor Photograher is okay. I've been subscribing to it for a couple years now, along with Pop Photo. Both have a fair amount of information about new products in the digital space, as well as basically a "digital photography" slant. If one reads either magazine, he or she will learn some stuff. Probably the best knowledge is contained in the professional shooter portfolio/profile pieces, where SPECIFIC working methods or strategies are talked about, as they relate to specific types of shoots, like say, night-time shots of the Milky Way, where you want to balance a star exposure and also get a lighted tent in the shot, or how to arrange large groups of people, or how to best photograph youth sports events, like soccer, or basketball indoors.

There **is** a lot of information on the internet, on blogs, web sites, and on YouTube, but the problem there is that the information/sources are often not well qualified--if they are qualified at all. ANYBODY can post YouTube videos, or do blogging, and so sometimes you'll find information that is incomplete or inaccurate, even though it might LOOK like it's being presented by a good source. The magazines have people with great experience behind them, and hundreds of thousands of readers who keep them in line, so they already have a type of vetted information bias that the 'net sources usually lack.

Michael - Photographic is actually part of shutter bug magazine, I recall seeing ads in Shutter Bug for the "Big Issue" of Photographic which I think was all four issues in one. I have an issue of the magazine, not sure this info is on the website or not, but they have ordering info and back issues contact [email protected] and the phone number they list is {888} 453 - 8012 extension 2. They might be able to tell you where to find it on newstands. The last copy I got was last winter and I did get it at Barnes & Noble. Hope this helps.

Michael - Photographic is actually part of shutter bug magazine, I recall seeing ads in Shutter Bug for the "Big Issue" of Photographic which I think was all four issues in one. I have an issue of the magazine, not sure this info is on the website or not, but they have ordering info and back issues contact [email protected] and the phone number they list is {888} 453 - 8012 extension 2. They might be able to tell you where to find it on newstands. The last copy I got was last winter and I did get it at Barnes & Noble. Hope this helps.
Awesome! Thanks!

Interesting question actually. I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and noticed they had a lot more photography magazines than computer magazines. I remember a time when it was the other way around.

I subscribe to Popular Photography. They've been around longer than others, I think, so it's hard to go wrong with them. (Not that any of the others are "wrong"...)

I was subscribing Digital Photo magazine for a couple of year, then I stopped it thinking that I might need to look to see if there is any other options that would suit my needs. I was basically looking for more teaching magazine with some example of before and after type of thing. But before I got the subscription I went to B&N and spent almost a day there trying to figure out which one to choose and finally I decided to subscribe Digital Photography.
Now I am looking for a magazine that would basically teach how to work on photographs, talking about post production, in most part
Thank you for your reply

Most reactions

Back