What is the best printing size?

AustinWheelerPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I don't really print my photos so I really need some help. I want to print out a picture that I took with my Sony Alpha a33 camera for mothers day for my mother. She really likes this image so I want to keep the best quality and without cropping off any edges, if possible. What size would you recommend getting a print from this camera?

This is a digital camera, you have posted the question in a film division.

However, look at the file size and divide by 300 that will give you the print size for best quality. In all likely hood it will need to be printed on traditional digital size papers, not analog. so you need to think 8 1/2X11 11X17, 13 x19 etc. Which means it can be centered on the paper and then trim the sides. Framing is going to be more of a problem as the traditional store bought frames come in analog paper sizes. 8x10 11 x14, 16x20.

The a33 has an APS-C size image sensor so the photos it makes have a 3:2 aspect ratio (the long side is 1.5x the short side).

Print sizes that are 3:2 are - the desk size print sizes are - 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, and the wall size prints - 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, 24x36.

Other popular aspect ratios are based on 5x7 (7:5) and 8x10 (5:4) aspect ratios. Your 3:2 photo would have to be cropped to print as 7:5 or 5:4.

3:2 ratio frames are available online, but may not be readily available in a local store.

As far as the issue of print quality, it depends on the quality of the image being printed, how the image is prepared for print, the type of print that is made, and who makes the print.

AspectRatioChartv2.png

What size frame do you have to put it in? Or are you going to make mom buy her own frame? This would determine which size to print.

8x10 looks really small on a wall, which is why it's considered a desktop print size.

No doubt, a group of 8x10's can work on a wall.

However, look at the file size and divide by 300 that will give you the print size for best quality.

I assume you mean the dimensions of the image in pixels and NOT the actual "file size". For instance, a picture 5184×3456px divided by 300 would be 17 x 11. That would represent 300dpi @ those print dimensions. Correct?

Actually, that would represent 300 ppi (pixels-per-inch) and 17.28" x 11.52".

PPI is the unit of measure for the resolution of digital input devices. DPI (dots per inch) is the unit of measure for the resolution of digital output devices.
Were one to take notice, they would see that Photoshop is careful to make the distinction.

Pixels are square or rectangular. Dots are circular.

It takes multiple dots to render a pixel. High quality inkjet printers use thousands of dots to render a pixel.

Many online print labs make chromogenic prints, a.k.a. - C-prints, as their primary print product. C-prints are made without any dots at all. Instead, chromogenic paper is light sensitive and has 3 color emulsion layers (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow - CMY)

Wow didn't expect all these replies. But after reading everyone's comment I think I should print it in 12x18. According to the chart that KmH, that's a good printing size. I really don't want to crop, it would just take away from the image and mess with the rule of thirds. Also, I'd rather have a bigger image than a small one. I attached the image she really likes, I think it's good enough to print at that size.
$DSC00414-2.jpg

Edit: Also you could tell, if I cropped the image, it would move the poles to the middle.

12x18 is a small wall print size.

To help present the photo on a wall, I would lose the copyright statement, and frame it so it is behind an off white or dark gray mat.

Have the 12x18 photo printed on 16x24 paper. Use the extra borderspace to attach the print to the mat and mount board which goes behind the print. The mat not only isolates the image from the wall for the sake of presentation, it also keeps the print from touching, an sticking to, the glazing (glass in front of the print).

These mats are 1.5 inches on the sides and top, 2 inches on the bottom. The black frames are 1/4 inch wide. Metal frames work very good for photos. The acids in wood can harm a print.

DSC00414-2WhiteMat.jpg

DSC00414-2GrayMat.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back