What is the Best Value going Wireless

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by leroyneal, Mar 4, 2010.

1. leroyneal

leroyneal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tell ya my head spins the more I research this.. I really want to get a wireless set up to go with my 580 and 430, U1800 and U600 (White Lightnings) I was all about sold on the Cybersync route, then looked into the "Mods" or add ons needed and it sent me over toward the RadioPoppers (which I LOVE!) but in order to get TTL or High Speed sync one has to have the Px systems at $250 a POP (thus the name I guess...) too spendy for my blood when all added up.

I am back where I started looking at Pocket Wizards..

Any suggestions for good value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (again) all,

2. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've heard a lot of good things about the cactus v4, but they don't support ttl. I'm actually going to be picking up a couple here in a week or two.

3. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't know where you got your info at?? There are not "MODS" or "add ons" needed for cybersyncs. I have a couple and they perform flawlessly and don't need anything but a receiver and transmitter just like any other wireless system.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I HAVE NEVER USED THIS, but for $30 shipped, it can't hurt to try.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Wireless-Receiver-cowboystudio/dp/B002W3IXZW/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_a?ie=UTF8&m=A1SU6RTSUAIWSN[/ame]

I think I'll order one this weekend. Not many reviews, but the few there are seem good.

5. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All i can say is +1 for cybersyncs. No bullsh!t, AMAZING customer service. Ive dropped 3 of mine over the past 2 years and had them replaced for free under warranty, its insane. Super solid build, AMAZING reliability, never had a misfire or been to far away. Ill agree that there are some pros that need the range of the PW but ive only read about less then half a dozen instances that the normal person would never come to face with. The ONLY thing that puts PW's over Cybersyncs is that rope cable thing to hang them from on your light stands. I also like that there smaller, they pack better and dont get in the way. I use some velcro type snap adhesive stuff to hold my recievers to the sides of my flashes.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first thing to decide is whether you want to go the TTL route or not. Since you want to incorporate your WL lights, I'm guessing not.

In that case, you can go with a simple radio trigger. There are cheap ones (Cactus etc.), they do work, and work well for some, but the general consensus is usually that they tend to be unreliable. (Mine were).
    So then you can look at something like Cyber Syncs, Radio Popper Jr, or Elinchrom Skyports etc. All of them work very well.
    The industry standard is still the Pocket Wizard Plus II. They are pricey but they work great and have a top end range of 1600 feet.

The new PW TTL units can work with your Canon units to give you E-TTL, HSS etc. just like using the 580EX as a master, but they are expensive as well and you can't use your studio lights with TTL.

7. leroyneal

leroyneal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry I just assumed this was a MOD

I really DO want High Speed flash options and TTL

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, that is a mod, but you don't need to do that. You could just use a shoe adapter like THIS.

OK, then you will need to work with the Canon wireless system. You could do it with just the equipment you have now. The 580 can be a master and the 430 can be the slave. That's all you need, as long as you are in a location/situation where the flashes can communicate with each other. Communication is done with flash bursts, so indoors, is the same room, it should be OK. But outdoors, it pretty much needs line of sight and bright sunlight will cause problems.
    You can't have E-TTL with your studio lights, but you could use them at the same time, but you would need a secondary triggering system (radio triggers or cords etc) and a receiver for each light. Without a receiver, the studio light will likely be triggered by the preflash from the E-TTL system.

To overcome the weaknesses of the Canon wireless system, most people use a radio trigger system. For the most part, this means giving up E-TTL, HSS etc. But there are new products that combine the reliability of radio with the Canon system...Radio Poppers and the TTL models from Pocket Wizard.
    A photographer I know, has tested both systems and like the Radio Poppers best. The PW system is pretty new and they seem to still be working out some of the kinks.
    The downside to the PR system, is that you still need a master unit on camera and a receiver unit on the remote flash. It's basically just a piggy back on the existing Canon system.
    The PW TTL 'master unit' can be on the camera, without a Canon master unit.

9. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just wanted to say...

I just ordered this. Cheap enough that it's worth a gamble... Once it comes in, I'll let you guys know what I think.

10. leroyneal

leroyneal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Please do !
    Will this operate a White Lightning or two?
    how does one order 2 receivers and one transmitter?

looks priced right..
    keep us posted !!

11. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not really familiar with that unit... So - I'm not sure.

If you look at the 'other items' available from that seller, you can buy the transmitter & receiver separately. You would probably have to buy the transmitter/receiver package, plus an additional receiver.

I'll keep you posted. Should be here around the middle of next week.

12. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha... Looks like I got the last one. Just got an e-mail saying that it shipped, and now there are none available. Not sure how long it will take them to restock.